Thread: Is a late 20's Colt .38 revolver a safe and decent pistol for a female?

was_peacemaker

Is a late 20's Colt .38 revolver a safe and decent pistol for a female?

My sister does not have a gun and I we inherited a late 20's Colt .38 revolver. Its actually in really beautiful shape to be as old as it is. Yet, I was wondering if it would be a safe first pistol for a female who has never really handled firearms. Anything I should be aware of with these old 20's era Colts?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

It would help to know the specific model of Colt revolver your sister has. It should be stamped on the left side of the barrel.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Since it's a revolver, and has some age on it, make sure the cylinder locks up tightly with the barrel. Holding it in one hand, carefully, and slowly, cock the hammer. With the other hand, once it's cocked, gently try to rotate the cylinder. If it won't move, that's real good. Now, with one hand, firmly hold the hammer and with your finger on the trigger, release the hammer (uh, BEFORE you do all this, make sure the gun's unloaded!). Let the hammer fall gently until it's finished it's travel. Keep your finger on the trigger. Now, with your other hand, gently try to rotate the cylinder again. If there's no sideways movement of the cylinder, that's perfect. Actually, a very small amount of movement is okay, but not too much movement. If the cylinder still moves excessively (over 1/16") then it's loose. A "loose" revolver will shave bullets as it fires and that's not safe. If it locks up tightly, with very little rotational movement (when the hammer is cocked or when the hammer's down in firing position, it's good to go.

Another thing to check for is how tightly the cylinder crane matches up to the frame. This is critical. Ideally, there should be no gap between crane and frame when the cylinder is locked up. If the crane has a gap, then none of the chambers will line up with the barrel when firing, and that's totally unsafe.

The best thing to do is take it to a gunsmith, or a friend who knows how to check them out, and let them give it a good checkup.

As far as the age of the revolver goes, as long as it is in good condition, it is okay to use. A .38 has a mild recoil, but is sufficient for personal protection and your sister should have no problems with it. Stay away from "hot" loads.

Good luck.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

How did you determine it's age? Photos and any markings, wording on the revolver would be a big help. It may not be chambered in the caliber you think it is. Early on Colt and S&W had some odd, proprietary calibers. Depending on what you actually have and it's condition you might be better off selling it and purchasing your sister a newer revolver. Not that a Colt from the 20's wouldn't be up to the task presuming it is in good working order but if you can sell it and buy something new it might alleviate any concerns as to reliability. Since you state that it's an inherited piece you may not want to sell in which case I would agree with alsmith and have it checked out by a competent smith, preferably one who has expereince with prewar Colts.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Revolvers in general are easy for non gun savy people to learn, no safety to remember to take off if they need to shoot someone. As described if the cylinder locks up well then it's good to go.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Colt makes the finest revolvers there are, bar none.

I have a Model 1926 Official Police I bought about 10 yrs ago. It has the nicest, most crisp/clean trigger-pull of any wheelie I've ever handled. Mirror-bright bore & chambers, & is amazingly accurate. Someone obviously took very good care of it; very possibly an old cop gun because the blueing is worn around the sides of the cylinder and end of the barrel, where a holster would contact it. I would not hesitate to use one for home defense. I actually used to keep it in the bedroom for exactly that, until I replaced it the other year w/ a Sig .45. Now it's in my home office.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    How did you determine it's age? Photos and any markings, wording on the revolver would be a big help. It may not be chambered in the caliber you think it is. Early on Colt and S&W had some odd, proprietary calibers. Depending on what you actually have and it's condition you might be better off selling it and purchasing your sister a newer revolver. Not that a Colt from the 20's wouldn't be up to the task presuming it is in good working order but if you can sell it and buy something new it might alleviate any concerns as to reliability. Since you state that it's an inherited piece you may not want to sell in which case I would agree with alsmith and have it checked out by a competent smith, preferably one who has expereince with prewar Colts.
    I am 100 % sure that it is a 38 Special....I am 95% sure on the year. Seems like it was 1928 (from what I was told) that my great-great uncle had done rather well (by southern farmer standards at the time) and got that Colt 38 and a really nice double barrel Ithica 12 gauge. So I am 95% sure it is a 1928 or at least a late 20's model.

You may be able to look up the serial number here.

http://proofhouse.com/
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

was_peacemaker

Thanks...next time I dig it out I will double check this. Appreciate it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reference link. I just found out my old Colt spinner was manufactured in 1933.

.38 what? I bet it's not SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    .38 what? I bet it's not SPL.
    That's what I was wondering. IIRC Colt chambered revolvers in 38 Long Colt (aka 38 Army) 38 Short Colt, .38 Colt new Police which is the same as the .38 S&W and the .38 Colt Special which is the same as the S&W .38 special. Just because a Colt is marked as a .38 doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

was_peacemaker
    That's what I was wondering. IIRC Colt chambered revolvers in 38 Long Colt (aka 38 Army) 38 Short Colt, .38 Colt new Police which is the same as the .38 S&W and the .38 Colt Special which is the same as the S&W .38 special. Just because a Colt is marked as a .38 doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does.
    Thanks for the info...didn't realize there were so many .38's back in the day. Next time I am on the property I will dig it out and write down everything I see stamped on the weapon...and double check its exact date, and caliber.