Thread: Who here shoots/carries the G19?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Who here shoots/carries the G19?

Was thinking about getting another Glock in 9x19, I've got a G26 and a G35 with a LW 9x19 conversion barrel and was leaning towards the G19. Love my G26 but was thinking something a little larger would be nice and since I have the G35 I just don't see the need for a G17. Was also thinking about a Glock my wife could use and the G19 just seemed like a good choice for her as well. I know a few of you guys swear by the G19 and was wondering if your wives, daughters, GF, etc, shoot them as well? TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have a G19 but my daughter has not wanted to shoot it, thought it was too big. I took her out a few weeks ago with my new (to me) CZ-82 and talked her into trying it. She loved it. Tomorrow I am planning on taking her back to the range with the Glock and see if she will try it now. I think she will like it but I will post after we are done and let you know.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have a G19 but my daughter has not wanted to shoot it, thought it was too big. I took her out a few weeks ago with my new (to me) CZ-82 and talked her into trying it. She loved it. Tomorrow I am planning on taking her back to the range with the Glock and see if she will try it now. I think she will like it but I will post after we are done and let you know.
    I bet she'll like the Glock better.

I let a female do a side by side shooting comparison with a CZ-82 and a XD-9 service (similar to G19). Before shooting, she liked the CZ-82 better because it was smaller. After shooting both, she determined the XD to be much more comfortable to shoot, even though it is larger.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

My wife loves to shoot my g19, she likes it better than her LC9. On the LC9 she says she doesn't have a good enough grip to control the pistol well enough, and she is 5'5" and a whole 120 lbs which I figured the smaller LC9 would be better for her but she grabs the G19 when we go shooting. I let her try the G26 and she could not stand it, too small of a grip.

Had my wife handle a few different firearms tonight, Series 80 Colt GM, S&W 645, G26, CZ-75b and a Beretta 92FS. She was able to retract the slide easily with the Beretta and the S&W 645. The G26 and the Colt were too hard for her and she could only retract the slide on the CZ if she cocked the hammer first. I'm wondering if the G19 might be too stiff for her?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

19 is my choice! Plus Aim Surplus has them on sale!
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...m=F1GLK19NGEN3
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Just for the hell of it I had my wife try the G35. She had no problems working the slide on it. The G26 only has a few hundred rounds through it at most while the G35 has a couple of thousand. I'm wondering it the G26, besides being pretty much new also has a stronger recoil spring setup since it's a subcompact? Guess the best thing to do is have the wife actually try the slide on a new G19 and see how she fares with it. She had surgery for a torn rotator cuff a few years ago and just never got the strength back in that arm. Wonder what type of weight training would be the most beneficial for working the slide on a pistol?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I taught a female cousin of mine to shoot. At first she had a real hard time pulling back the slide on just about any pistol. I gave her one of those hand grip exerciser things to work on her grip strength. After she used it for a few weeks, it did the trick. She can now rack back the slide on any auto pistol.

FYI, I gave her one with foam padding on the grips, and it didn't really have that much tension.
    Last edited by AK-J; 09-03-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Went to the range today with the G19 and let my daughter fire it for the first time. For comparison, my daughter is 21, very tall and skinny. The first round from the Glock the pistol almost jumped out of her hand. We changed her grip and she settled down hitting the target about an 1" high and left at 7 yards. She only fired 10 rounds from it. She said she liked it but the recoil hurt her arm. Like I said, she is very skinny. She liked shooting the 9x18 Makarov much better. I am thinking of getting her a CZ 83 in .380. Not as powerful but the ammo is much easier for her to get.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Just for the hell of it I had my wife try the G35. She had no problems working the slide on it. The G26 only has a few hundred rounds through it at most while the G35 has a couple of thousand. I'm wondering it the G26, besides being pretty much new also has a stronger recoil spring setup since it's a subcompact? Guess the best thing to do is have the wife actually try the slide on a new G19 and see how she fares with it. She had surgery for a torn rotator cuff a few years ago and just never got the strength back in that arm. Wonder what type of weight training would be the most beneficial for working the slide on a pistol?
    Glock 26 is shorter, recoil spring has to suck up the energy in less distance therefore it is stiffer in spring force. Glock 19, larger, longer stroke, not as much pressure, spring doesn't "Stack Up" like the smaller Glocks. I have two and carry one or the other 90% of the time when I carry. Wife has one she is able to charge the weapon ok, though not overly fast.

A friend lent me his NIB G19 the other day and I had my wife try it. She worked the slide, no problem. We were at Sportsmans Warehouse today looking for a Remington R1 1911 that they had on sale but it was all sold out. Since we were there any way I had the wife try another G19 and she did fine with it. Their price on the G19 was $499.00. I've got $100 in gift cards so I'm thinking a $399 G19 might be headed for a spot under the Christmas tree this year with the wife's name on it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I think that would be a dandy Christmas preseent. The 19 you borrowed, did she actually get to shoot it, or just manipulate it? You might want to try her actually shooting one. The width of the grip, (not a problem if using 2 hands) and the long gummy trigger pulls might make a difference in how she likes it.

Too bad I didn't see this thread sooner, id recommend the G19 as well, have one for my wife and she loves hers.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I think that would be a dandy Christmas preseent. The 19 you borrowed, did she actually get to shoot it, or just manipulate it? You might want to try her actually shooting one. The width of the grip, (not a problem if using 2 hands) and the long gummy trigger pulls might make a difference in how she likes it.
    She didn't shoot the G19 but has used my G35 at the range and grip, controls, etc, aren't an issue.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

The G19 is my one and only handgun. I love it for all the usual reasons that make Glocks great however I never really loved the ergonomics. I kinda forced myself into it since I qualify for Glocks LE discount pricing and you REALLY can't get anything better for $400 with 3 mags. I've had it for several years now and the ergonomics are really starting to get to me. I'm probably going to order a Grip Force Adapter http://gripforceproducts.com/ since my large hands have been scraped a few times by the slide and see how that works. I'm also going to look into an extended mag release so I don't have to cock the whole gun sideways in my hand to activate it. I may replace it with something else for my everyday gun, however I don't know if I'll ever get rid of it.

Watch the Gen4 9mm Glocks though. There's a lot of talk out there about weak ejection and brass being shot into the shooters face due to a different ejector and new recoil spring setup. I really don't know why Glock had to go mess with a good thing!

G19 is quite possibly the perfect handgun.
    Face your fear, accept your war.