Thread: Springfield XDs

Springfield XDs

Has anyone shot one of these yet? A pocket 45 for concealed carry sounds like something I want!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No but I have worked on a XD pistol or two when I was a licensed 01 dealer and gunsmith. Very complex compared to a Glock. The striker is a big thing that has an internal spring and it tracks on a common roll pin that is driven into the slide from the top just in front of the rear sight. IF that roll pin ever breaks you have a paper weight. The good news is, you can find a roll pin in most hardware stores to replace it.

Never shot the single stack subcompact .45, but I like what I see! I have a full size XD-45 (Not the M model) that has been crazy reliable.

I have been eyeballing one for some time now but hard to find.I had a local dealer but me on a list from Davidsons.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No but I have worked on a XD pistol or two when I was a licensed 01 dealer and gunsmith. Very complex compared to a Glock. The striker is a big thing that has an internal spring and it tracks on a common roll pin that is driven into the slide from the top just in front of the rear sight. IF that roll pin ever breaks you have a paper weight. The good news is, you can find a roll pin in most hardware stores to replace it.

+1

I own both and the Glock is definitely a simpler more user friendly design if you detail strip your pistols.

That retainer pin is definitely the Achilles heel of the XD design. You should always replace it instead of trying to re-use the old one.

There is also an improved aftermarket rolled spring pin that's superior to the cheap factory split pin.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net...2&categoryId=4

This is what I have in my XD.

As to the XDs, I think Smith got it right with the Shield a single-stack 9mm. I'm not a big fan of wee little thin pistols in .45. Not exactly a new idea either, the Glock 36 has been around for at least a decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    +1

I own both and the Glock is definitely a simpler more user friendly design if you detail strip your pistols.

That retainer pin is definitely the Achilles heel of the XD design. You should always replace it instead of trying to re-use the old one.

There is also an improved aftermarket rolled spring pin that's superior to the cheap factory split pin.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net...2&categoryId=4

This is what I have in my XD.

As to the XDs, I think Smith got it right with the Shield a single-stack 9mm. I'm not a big fan of wee little thin pistols in .45. Not exactly a new idea either, the Glock 36 has been around for at least a decade or more.
    Maybe not a new idea, but the XDS makes the 36 feel like holding a brick. I'm jonesing for one.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Maybe not a new idea, but the XDS makes the 36 feel like holding a brick. I'm jonesing for one.

Yeah that is the main advantage of the XD over the Glock, much better ergonomics. I especially like the shorter trigger reach.

Still I would have much rather seen a small single-stack 9mm than a .45.

I have two XD's, a 45 Tactical Model and a 9mm Sub-Compact. Very reliable straight shooters.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

IMHO.. after playing with one I feel they are too top heavy.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    IMHO.. after playing with one I feel they are too top heavy.
    So are Glocks... till you put bullets in it. ;-)
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Here is the post on the XD fourm about this.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...ional-use.html
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!