Thread: Favorite shotgun brand.

was_peacemaker

Favorite shotgun brand.

What is the most favored brand of shotgun is the question....what is yours?

I have to say I have a soft spot for Winchester shotguns, though I would put Mossberg in at 2nd. Not that I dislike Remington, Ithica, or other brands but I just like the feel and handling of a good Winchester shotgun.

What is yours?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Mossberg 1st; Remington 2nd.

For hunting, I prefer my CVA BP Trapper shotgun. It's light, comes up smoothly to the shoulder, points naturally, and fits perfectly. Other than that, I like the old Stevens double barrels.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

1. Mossberg - Position of the safety, works for both right & left handed shooters
    2. Ithaca - I still love my old Model 37.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Remington in general and the 870 in particular. I've got a Beretta which is quite well made but there has been a Remington 870 Wingmaster in my life/family/household since the day I was born. I expect that tradition to continue all the remaining days of my life.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Always loved winchesters!!! then they went away and I think some are back.. just cost alot more.. I like mossies... I've never had the pleasure of a remington but I think they are great!! Loved saigas when you could get them for less than 300. I guess now I'd have to say for defense.. 1 mossberg 2 remington ... as far as just fun and how they feel.. I Love old single shots!!! Nef singles are good.. Best feeling shotgun I hefted was a Ruger red Label!! I wonder if the new nef pumps are anygood.. think they are made in china... Hell!!! Looks like i like them all!!! Sorry

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have used Remington 870s and really like them. Being left handed the safety on the trigger guard is a bother. Some day I will pay to get it swapped for a lefty. My new Winchester 101 is great. It fits better than my 870, so I may have just changed my mind on which shotgun I like better. As for Mossbergs, I have shot them at work and have to say I don't see much difference between them and the Remingtons I have owned.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

As a collector and shooter of antique firearms I got to say that the early Winchesters are my favorites. The 1887 and the 1897 are my favorites. In the more modern department Im still "old". The Browning A5 would be my pick there. So its all John Moses Browning in my closet..... And one Valmet, but I never use it...
    Religion... mans victory over common sense...........

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Mossberg because of ergonomics.

Not that I wouldn't like others to add to the collection, I'd just rather depend on the Mossberg.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

hard question.

id say, in general, remington, then mossberg.

i have a few remingtons i like, 870's and 2 m10's, the quality and fit and finish are excellent. i also have a few mossys, and while they cannot hold a candle to the remingtons as far as fit and finish and design in general, i like to use them because they just seem to fit me better. except for that damned safety.

im also very fond of my stevens 520 and 620's, as well as the browning a5, that thing is near perfection, action and trigger are as smooth as glass.

someday, id like to get a winchester 1895, because i live the look of the hammer guns, even though, im just not fond of winchesters in general.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    1. Mossberg - Position of the safety, works for both right & left handed shooters
    2. Ithaca - I still love my old Model 37.

Steve
    reverse that for me. I wish I could buy a recently made riot model 37, but I guess my 590 will have to do.

Benelli for me.

Though I do love old Brownings and Winchesters.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I like my mossberg 835 a tad better than the 500. Remington would be my second choice, 1100 in sixteen is my clay and dove gun.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Mossberg pumps.

Ithacas are nice.

was_peacemaker
    Speaking of Ithaca pumps...aren't they the ones that eject out of the bottom?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    That is correct! One of the reasons I chose it since I'm left-handed.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    That is correct! One of the reasons I chose it since I'm left-handed.

Steve
    Ahhh...ok. It seems like I heard some older guys talking about how back in the day they would shoot skeet with them, and then quickly eject the shell out by holding the gun up, and then coming back down and shooting the empty shell casing. Would that be possible with the the Ithica?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    remington m-10

Roadhouse Groupee

I once read that there is the remington wingmaster and then there is every other shotgun. I have a beautiful 1952 wingmaster.