Thread: metric to inch FAL furniture?

metric to inch FAL furniture?

I have looked around quite a bit lately,trying to find stocks & parts for an inch pattern rifle. But for the most parts all I see are metric stock and accessories. the same seems to hold true for most FAL parts and info. Given that; is there a way to make a metric stock set fit on an inch rifle or are the dimensions too far off?

on a side note; does anyone here know what kind of barrel Century used on their L1A1 Sporter rifles? I can't tell if it's chrome lined or some odd alloy nor can I figure out where it was made. All in all I thank ye heartily for your help.
    Last edited by Sergi762; 09-09-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html Irowood Designs makes wood Inch pattern stocks as well as Metric. Also a major provider or US made AK stock set. On barrels Cenury used, I have no real clue about ALL the FAL variants they made. I can say that I have worke on two of their L1A1 types and those were original barrels. I have put a metric lower on an inch upper so the owner could have a black synthetic humpbacked Metric stock that he liked on the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html Irowood Designs makes wood Inch pattern stocks as well as Metric. Also a major provider or US made AK stock set. On barrels Cenury used, I have no real clue about ALL the FAL variants they made. I can say that I have worke on two of their L1A1 types and those were original barrels. I have put a metric lower on an inch upper so the owner could have a black synthetic humpbacked Metric stock that he liked on the weapon.
    Bychance did either of those have a chromed chamber but a nonchromed bore?

what all is stamped on your barrel??
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    what all is stamped on your barrel??
    aside from about 10 half finished marks I can't decipher; 960 2006 then a 61 about a 1cm further from that and along the base of the barrel FB 506 only other mark I can see well enough is something that looks like a thick U.

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270687

start here.

these go deeper than the enfields on marks.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    Bychance did either of those have a chromed chamber but a nonchromed bore?
    It's been so long ago, before 2005 that I can't say with certainty. I remember a buddy had a Century L1A1 and he couldn't hit his ass with it. I tried shooting it and I couldn't get a group either. I broke it open and looked downthe bore to see almost no rifling. Cleaned it heavily then looked again, still crap, lands all rounded, very shallow. We ordered a new barrel and I got it on for him. Major difference, he could group 2 MOA then vs. 12 before. Given the extreme worn look of that original barrel I bet it wasn't chrome lined originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270687

start here.

these go deeper than the enfields on marks.
    Without any other clear marks I seem to have hit a dead end. The rifling is good( less than a thousand rounds since the gun was bought). While there( FAL Files) I had seen a few threads talking about barrels with chromed chambers but not much as to who made them or where... I admit I don't see the advantage of a chromed chamber( as opposed to a chrome lined bore throughout), however.

Good luck finding inch furniture. Inch parts are drying up. For furniture your best best is Iron Wood. I am trying to find some of the Australian hand gaurds. The latter style the is more oval shaped than trinagle.

I really wish some one would make new L1A1's.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    Without any other clear marks I seem to have hit a dead end. The rifling is good( less than a thousand rounds since the gun was bought). While there( FAL Files) I had seen a few threads talking about barrels with chromed chambers but not much as to who made them or where... I admit I don't see the advantage of a chromed chamber( as opposed to a chrome lined bore throughout), however.
    The advantage of a chromed chamber is rust and pitting prevention. If that happens the weapon will not extract cases reliably if at all. This is what was wrong with the very first M16 rifles deployed to Vietnam, no chromed chamber or bore. Wet environment, rust, pitts, no function. Also the Calcium Carbonate and ball powder thing but that's another story.