Thread: Thou shalt not covet...

Thou shalt not covet...

But holly crap have I wanted one of these since I first laid eyes on them:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/inde...=23&Itemid=814

If I get a decent tax return next year I might just lose it and have one sent to my favrotie FFL. All in all, I think it might be all the rifle I'll ever need. "Want" is a different story, but as far as function and capability, this looks like it will down anything I'd ever throw lead at and reach as far as I can reliably hit anything anyways.

What do y'all think? Can anyone talk me out of this insanity? Or should I just start filling the change jar and dive head first into VEPER MADNESS!!!!!
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 09-12-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I just added this to my collection two days ago and intend to take it to the range Saturday for short distance sight in and Thursday Sept 20 for some long range work.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I like the looks of the regular VEPR over the Super VEPR.

AKnut's rifle just has a real military look that I like in commie guns.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Nut, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I've gotten to shoot AKAgain's VEPER and they are everything an AK should be.

I'm starting to come around to the opinion that for the average Joe, within realistic and reasonable ranges, this is about as balanced as a rifle can get in terms of performance and capability. To become more accruate would require things that ad weight and reduce rate of fire. To increase capacity would generally mean downsizing to a mid power cartrige.

I sort of hoping the bug wears of because, dang, I really DON'T need to be spending that much on a rifle. But it will take me to all the places I want to go. (North American game hunting and a decent target shooter out to farther than my "marksmanship" will take me...)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I like the looks of the regular VEPR over the Super VEPR.

AKnut's rifle just has a real military look that I like in commie guns.
    I like it too!

They have that style in several barrel lengths at Atlantic as well. I'm into the 16" myself.

If I wind up going that way, I might just buy two Saiga .308's though for the same price. (One for me, one for the missus.)

Something about the Super's full wood stock and flutted / compensated barrel just looks classy to me though. I also like that low profile gasblock sight. Makes it look more streamlined than the usual commie steel.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 09-12-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Shoot, had these VEPRs been around five years ago, I might have gotten one of them instead of my PSL.

That sub-$800 20' .308 looks mighty good. But, I still love my PSL.

Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 09-12-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I was thrilled to get a call from my local store that they got in one of the longer barrel .308s. For some reason everyone seems to have the 16" but personally I think that isn't long enough to get the most out of the round. Mine is 23 inches, which should be just right for the intermediate range shooting I intend to use it for.

Hey Doc, give in and get one! It is everything an RPK should be.

I have always had a thing for the PSL, but since I have a TIGR (TIGER) I feel fulfilled.

That's a fine looking shooter there Pertwee!

I'm a big fan of all the MBR caliber AK variants. Just nice shooting guns all around.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    For some reason everyone seems to have the 16" but personally I think that isn't long enough to get the most out of the round.

I have always had a thing for the PSL, but since I have a TIGR (TIGER) I feel fulfilled.
    I've heard the shorter barrel guns give better groups because the barrel is supposedly stiffer. I like the 20" and 23" myself though.

You should do a TIGR vs VEPR side by side shoot off!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    That's a fine looking shooter there Pertwee!
    Thanks Doc. Its certainly a fun shooter as well. Using ammo cheap enough to stock up on helps a lot too. Its nice shooting full caliber-semi auto for less than the price of standard AK ammo.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Can anyone talk me out of this insanity?
    Now why would i want to go and do a cruel thing like that?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

"Coveting" doesn't apply to mass produced items. Desire for manufactured goods (foreign or domestic) is what fuels the economy and if God shed His Grace on us then buying manufactured goods is not only patriotic (employing your fellow Americans in shipping and retail at the very least) but downright moral.

Get your mind right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post

Get your mind right.
    Yes, it is God's will!

Well, hopefully God in his grace will soften the cruel hearts or the IRS and bless me with a decent tax windfall next year.

I have wanted a psl for quite a long time.

** Contributor 01/2013 **

Quote Originally Posted by ceno View Post
    I have wanted a psl for quite a long time.
    I'm not sure where psls are but here are 2 alternatives, both of which are very well made.

http://centerfiresystems.com/search.aspx?find=Vepr

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/firearms.html

I hope this helps. Personally, I'm going with the M76!!