Thread: AK47 922r question.

AK47 922r question.

Ive got a Romanian WUM-1 that i bought durin "the ban" that came with a drop of solder on the cap that protects the threads. Now that the ban has been over with for years,..Is it okay to take the cap off and put on a AK-74 muzzle brake?? How, if anydoes this affect my parts count? Or does the cap have to stay on?? Thanks

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    922(r) basically says if you change the configuration of your sporting weapon without changing the parts count, it will become a non-importable "assault rifle". To install a muzzle brake would alter the allowed configuration per the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment. Actually the sporting purpose is in that unconstitutional 1968 Gun Control Act.

Your WUM-1 is all imported parts, and was allowed in because of to the "sporting stock", tacked on muzzle thread cover and no bayo lug. Changing any part that changes it's configuration triggers 922(r) and now Title 27 CFR 478.39

And so much for "shall not be infringed".

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    A little something to help with the impending restoration.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. I will take that as a resounding "NO" to adding a muzzle brake, to include a TAPCO, U.S. made brake. No problem. I will leave it be and use this as the perfect excuse to buy a pre or post-post-ban underfolder that Ive always wanted. I sure would like to find an underfolder with "Russian Red" type wood and wood pistol grip on .t. Thanks again guys.

UPDATE: I just got brand new this Arsenal, SAS M-7 underfolder. I want to put on "Russian Red" wood on it, gas tube, fore stock & pistol grip. I also want to put on an AK-74 style muzzle device-----As far as 922R goes, what say you guys?? Am I stuck in its current configuration or what.??

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I say ... humm! Seriously the Aarsenal Bulgarian rifle is classic as is. I wouldn't change anything on it other than maybe a slant brake. Its a beautiful example of a Blugarian milled AK47 variant, congrats!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I believe that using the parts you say, you will be ok with the parts count. To be safe, I suggest a US made AK-74 brake if that is what you want to use.

What ever you do, don't lose or damage the wood you remove, because if you ever want to sell that beauty, having the original parts on it will be very important to a buyer.

Thanks Schuetz, Youve got me second guessing now. I tried on the AK-74 type muzzle break and it kinda didnt look right. It is a lighter color than the rifle so the color is mis-matched. Plus, since it is a TAPCO muzzle break, it sorta has that "billboard" look about it with all the lettering on it. So I dont know. Well see how it goes.

Thanks AKnut. I will definately keep the original wood. Ill see how it looks with the Russian Red on it. Thats if I can find some or mabe even stain some wood to my liking.