Thread: New Toy!

New Toy!

So, while I haven't officially drank from the AR Kool-Aid pitcher yet, I did finally break down and get one.

But not just any old run-of-the-mill Bushmaster/Remington/DPMS/Black Tactical/Midway USA/Brownells/Pick-A-Manufacturer rifle in a caliber I'm not really all that interested in (but may have to, depending on what goes on with the Mrs, but that's a story for another day).

Not me. I have standards. And one of those standards revolves around rifles that don't shit where they eat. And it has to be in a caliber that starts with a 3. And it can't be prohibitively expensive (i.e. over $2k).

Well, I found such a rifle in the form of a Sig Sauer 716. Sticker price at the fun store was $1699 plus tax. I put out feelers early last summer on issues associated with the platform, and using a little bit of ORM (those who have served in the AF know what I'm talking about), I went ahead and put one on layaway.

After a VERY successful fun show this last weekend, I had enough dough to get said shootin' stick out of hock.

The only addition to the pic above is I managed to find a Sig Sauer red dot for it, that with a small sized riser, co-witnesses excellent with the supplied BUIS. Other than that, what you see is how she sits right now.

So, on first blush, the rifle is all business. As far as accessories go, it came with only the one 20 rd SR-25 PMag, a GI-style cleaning kit, extra pieces for the MagPul grip, low-pro rail covers, and a sling with push button attach points.

Haven't had a chance to fire her yet, which probably won't happen until this weekend. I'll get the target and stand out, and see how well it groups with my hunting loads. (One of this rifle's uses is going to be my get-out-of-the-truck-and-walk-in-the-woods gun so I'm not trying to swing a full size Remy 700 around whilst out putting the big sneak on some southern WY elk next month.)
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

That is some serious power right there, very nice looking too. Semi 308s are just so much moola. A friend of mine bought a Springfield M1A for around that much. As long as it works, you should have a nice rifle.

Nice choice!I have been waiting on the marksman model to come out.
    Looks like you do have the updated 716 with the new style gas valve.
    From what I know they got all the bugs out with a few updates including the new style gas block and valve.
    Im sure it wont disappoint.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Man you buy some nice toys.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I like that. May have to have one... I sure like my Sig pistols and I don't have a .308 AR...

I thought about trading off a couple of other guns on it, but this one I wanted outright. Next to my Drags, this is the most expensive rifle I now own.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Very nice, I'm definitely interested in hearing how it grouped on paper and was it reliable.

Yeah, I been wanting one too.

If the weather gods hold true and the forecast is correct, as long as it ain't blowing a hurricane I'll be out at the range testing this and most likely the PAP rebuild I've been putting off for the better part of 7 months this weekend.

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Just when I thought my gun buying was over, you just had to show me that!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

I have been lusting over one of these. Nice buy!