Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which AK to buy?

Which AK to buy?

Out of these two which one is the better of the two. Just looking into buying my first AK and have had an SKS that I really liked.
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/roman...47-m-10-series
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/russian-saiga-ak-variant
    Any help would be appreciated, I was thinking of these two, because they are already 922 compliant and I believe I read that they are built of new parts. On a side note what do you think of the Tapco G2 trigger vs the original trigger?

saiga all the way.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Will this particular Saiga accept all of the standard AK rails and the like to mount a vertical foregrip. It apparently has already been converted to accept standard AK mags but will it accept a drum if I decide to get one? It appears to be a good price. What would it take if I wanted to change stocks to an adjustable one or a thumbhole stock similar to the VEPR stock? Just getting into the AK set and am really just starting to research them. I joined this forum to feed off of others experience. I figure the best way to learn is to get info from those in the know. Thanks for any info given.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

From the picture, it does not look like the Saiga has been modified to full AKM in that the front handguard is still Saiga length and not AK/AKM length. As for the mags, if it has been set up to use standard AK mags then it would also be able to use a drum. The stock does look standard AKM, but the Saiga might use thicker metal in the receiver so some fitting might be required if wanting to change stocks. As to the VEPR, they have a different cut on the rear of the receiver and therefore I don't think you could adapt one to the Saiga.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Welcome to the group !!!

From the picture, it does not look like the Saiga has been modified to full AKM in that the front handguard is still Saiga length and not AK/AKM length. As for the mags, if it has been set up to use standard AK mags then it would also be able to use a drum. The stock does look standard AKM, but the Saiga might use thicker metal in the receiver so some fitting might be required if wanting to change stocks. As to the VEPR, they have a different cut on the rear of the receiver and therefore I don't think you could adapt one to the Saiga.
    So what would be the easiest route to change to AK length handgaurd or have a railed handgaurd of some sort.

What advantages if any are there to the Saiga AK over the Romanian AK in the other link?

I have seen two piece adapters that bolt on around the barrel to locate the front of the standard lower handguard. That would allow you to install a railed lower guard for the front grip. I just wish I remember where I saw it. The reason I was looking is that I just got a VEPR and was looking into giving it that look that George Bush the First had fits over. It might have been on Classic Arms but it also might have been on Centerfire System. Then again I looked at many sites. Sorry, I wish I kept a paper record instead of memory.

I was told the gas tube is the same length, so all you would have to do to convert to an upper guard is get the standard gas tube from an AKM.

In this one case the normal advantages the Saiga has, being Russian is the biggest, but the receiver is a stronger design, I would say for what you want to do, the pictured M10 series already comes with a railed handguard set, so by that criteria alone it would be better for you. Less needed mods, and the standard AKM receiver leaves you open to a zillion ways to personalize it. My only complaint, and that is purely me, is I am not a fan of the gas block front sight combo, but again that is personal preference only.

One more question, does the Saiga break down the same as a "standard AK"? On a side note who am I kidding, we all know there will be more questions to come and I do appreciate the help, looking to get the best I can at around the $600 price range and longevity, reliability wise it looks like the Saiga is the choice. I also read that the Saiga tends to be a bit more accurate as well BONUS.

The Saiga, being an AK variant does break down similar to the standard AKM other than the front handguard. The one you show has already been modified from the "as delivered" model.

Great price but I am still leaning toward the Saiga. How is that Tapco G2 trigger versus the factory AK triggers?

no factory trigger can touch a G2.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    no factory trigger can touch a G2.
    Then my friend you have never fired a Chinese AK!

Then my friend you have never fired a Chinese AK!

They dont count.
    If I coulda replicated the trigger out of my 84S I had, that would make any AK a tack driver.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yep, have to agree the trigger in my 84S-1 is flat out amazing and the rifle is my most accurate AK variant. I was shooting shotgun hulls at 50 yards using the standard sights. One of my friends couldn't believe it so I handed him the rifle and he too was putting holes in hulls!

Just ordered the Saiga, four mags, already converted, glasses, earplugs tactical bag and recoil buffer for $599 could not beat it, How do you feel about the recoil buffer use it or not?
    A friend of mine has an AK that the trunion area rivets bent, he sent it off to get it fixed and after he got it back less than a hundred rounds later they were bent again. Does he need the buffer or could this be a sign of a warn out recoil spring?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stanger1944 View Post
    Just ordered the Saiga, four mags, already converted, glasses, earplugs tactical bag and recoil buffer for $599 could not beat it, How do you feel about the recoil buffer use it or not?
    A friend of mine has an AK that the trunion area rivets bent, he sent it off to get it fixed and after he got it back less than a hundred rounds later they were bent again. Does he need the buffer or could this be a sign of a warn out recoil spring?
    Awesome!

Just be sure to get some steel mags. Those Tapco mags just aren't tough to the same degree, from what I can tell without personally testing them.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Awesome!

Just be sure to get some steel mags. Those Tapco mags just aren't tough to the same degree, from what I can tell without personally testing them.
    I have two 20 round Tapco mags for my SKS and one 30 round Pro mag for my SKS and all three have never had a problem. All fit snug in the gun and feed without fail. The Tapco took a little use to break in but after about two or three loads run through no problems at all. My stance on steel vs polymer mags and it may be a flawed idea, but my opinion. I would rather replace a polymer magazine for wear in the area where it latches in place than to have problems with the magazine latch on the gun due to the wear of putting in and taking out steel magazines.

If I told you that I just bought a .308 VEPR and the first thing I did to it after wiping down the recoil spring was to install a recoil buffer, could you guess my feeling about them? In fact all the AKs that I fire have Blackjack recoil buffers in them. Many manufacturers of various pistols, rifles and shotguns these days install buffers at the factory.

About the only thing I don't like about a recoil buffer is that without one, the bolt and carrier leave a nice witness mark on the rear trunion letting me know that the "new in box" rifle someone is trying to sell me is not what he/she says it is. With one there is no tattle tale mark.

O.K. , so I will definitely use the recoil buffer that is in the package with the Saiga ak, but next question is will a wolf extra power spring work on the Saiga, and if it will combined with the recoil buffer would there be any advantages to the extra power spring? Will the extra power recoil spring for a standard ak work on this converted Saiga?

Just to let you know you are not being ignored, I have no information on the Wolf extra power spring for a Saiga but knowing the AK and it's variants, I don't see any need for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast