Thread: Thoughts on the Remington R1 1911?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Thoughts on the Remington R1 1911?

Sportsmans Warehouse has the Remington R1 1911 on sale for $599. I checked Buds Guns and got a quote of $610 shipped. This is the blued, full size 1911 with fixed sights and checkered walnut stocks. Remington started offering the 1911 last year IIRC.

Does anyone know if it's actually made here in the states and by Remington or some other manufacturer? I've got $100 worth of gift cards so for $499 + tax it looks like a pretty sweet deal on a new 1911. Gonna stop by the store tomorrow and see if they have any left and check it out in person.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Sportsmans Warehouse has the Remington R1 1911 on sale for $599. I checked Buds Guns and got a quote of $610 shipped. This is the blued, full size 1911 with fixed sights and checkered walnut stocks. Remington started offering the 1911 last year IIRC.

Does anyone know if it's actually made here in the states and by Remington or some other manufacturer? I've got $100 worth of gift cards so for $499 + tax it looks like a pretty sweet deal on a new 1911. Gonna stop by the store tomorrow and see if they have any left and check it out in person.
    IDK about the quality of their new offerings, but a Remmy 1911 for less than the average Para, Taurus or Springfield sounds like a deal worth looking into!

Let us know how it looks in person.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The Remington 1911R1 is made in Ilion, NY by E-RPC, a subsidiary of Remington. The $599 price is consistant with what I see them selling nationally.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

for that price I'd spring .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

I've been watching the Remington very closely, the Stainless one is awesome! The only bad thing I've heard is that they are built on a cast frame.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    The only bad thing I've heard is that they are built on a cast frame.
    Is it really "bad" or just different?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Is it really "bad" or just different?
    If it were 40 or 50 years earlier I would agree a cast frame would be considered a bad thing. With today's improvements in metallurgy and manufacturing processes I believe it's a non-issue. Just my opinion.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately SW was out of the R1 when I stopped by this morning and the sale ends tomorrow so it looks like I won't be getting this one afterall.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I had the R1 and Loved it, fit and finish was excellent, made very tight and ran flawlessly. I sold my R1 because I decided I really wanted the R1S, finally found it put it in layaway 2 weeks ago and picking it up on Friday 3/1/13.
    By the way Just found this site and wanted to say HI on my first post.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    I had the R1 and Loved it, fit and finish was excellent, made very tight and ran flawlessly. I sold my R1 because I decided I really wanted the R1S, finally found it put it in layaway 2 weeks ago and picking it up on Friday 3/1/13.
    By the way Just found this site and wanted to say HI on my first post.
    Welcome to the site and thanks for the insight on the Remington.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Remington 1911R1S first run

Range Target 030313.JPG
    Took my Remington 1911R1S (Stainless) to the range for the first time yesterday. The only thing I did to the weapon was to give it a good cleaning before using it. I haven't picked up one (any handgun for that matter) since I got out of the Marines 35 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. I fired 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 230 gr. Brass and 7 rounds of Remington HD 230gr. spiral cut Brass jacketed hollow point ammo. The Blazer performed flawlessly while the Remington HD was less than impressive. The first six rounds I sent down range to get sighting surprised me. At the 20 foot distance, I put all 6 rounds in the lethal spot on the silhouette target. The seventh failed to feed into the chamber.
    Watching me was the range Pistol Smith. He asked how I liked the weapon. I shared my opinion, for what it was worth. He said to not get too worked up over the FTF with the Remington ammo. He said, if it continued after 500 rounds then contact Remington. It is not too unusual for new weapons to act finicky with certain ammo out of the box. They may need some break-in.
    On the 20, 25, 40 and 50 foot distances the 1911R1S was just as accurate. The slide is tight and smooth. I only fired 6 rounds of the Remington HD because of the cost. I just wanted to see if it fired differently than the Blazer rounds. No noticeable difference in performance and feel. Just that pesky FTF! The Blazer was a real joy. Both rapid and paced fire was the kind of performance you would want and expect for a self-protection weapon.
    I considered a 9mm and talked with a number of my friends about all of my options. If I am put in a position to fire on a perpetrator I don’t want to irritate him, I intend to knock him down for the count. I know what the 45ACP can and will do that and just can’t justify a lighter round.

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmer2 View Post
    Range Target 030313.JPG
    Took my Remington 1911R1S (Stainless) to the range for the first time yesterday. The only thing I did to the weapon was to give it a good cleaning before using it. I haven't picked up one (any handgun for that matter) since I got out of the Marines 35 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. I fired 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 230 gr. Brass and 7 rounds of Remington HD 230gr. spiral cut Brass jacketed hollow point ammo. The Blazer performed flawlessly while the Remington HD was less than impressive. The first six rounds I sent down range to get sighting surprised me. At the 20 foot distance, I put all 6 rounds in the lethal spot on the silhouette target. The seventh failed to feed into the chamber.
    Watching me was the range Pistol Smith. He asked how I liked the weapon. I shared my opinion, for what it was worth. He said to not get too worked up over the FTF with the Remington ammo. He said, if it continued after 500 rounds then contact Remington. It is not too unusual for new weapons to act finicky with certain ammo out of the box. They may need some break-in.
    On the 20, 25, 40 and 50 foot distances the 1911R1S was just as accurate. The slide is tight and smooth. I only fired 6 rounds of the Remington HD because of the cost. I just wanted to see if it fired differently than the Blazer rounds. No noticeable difference in performance and feel. Just that pesky FTF! The Blazer was a real joy. Both rapid and paced fire was the kind of performance you would want and expect for a self-protection weapon.
    I considered a 9mm and talked with a number of my friends about all of my options. If I am put in a position to fire on a perpetrator I don’t want to irritate him, I intend to knock him down for the count. I know what the 45ACP can and will do that and just can’t justify a lighter round.
    Congrats on the new pistol. I have heard recommendations not to clean them during the break in period.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jpalmer2 View Post
    Range Target 030313.JPG
    Thanks for the rante report. I am just about done with Blazer Aluminum 230 gr bullets and I won't get any more. They worked fine, I just am old fashioned and like brass casings.

Oh yeah. Welcome to the group!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Thanks for the rante report. I am just about done with Blazer Aluminum 230 gr bullets and I won't get any more. They worked fine, I just am old fashioned and like brass casings.

Oh yeah. Welcome to the group!
    I reload so me too. Especially when someone leaves their brass behind, that's like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Congratulations on the new R1S, Like said 1 FTE no big deal in the first 500, some guns take that just to get everything fitted in properly. Welcome to the forum from another newbie to this forum but not to guns or especially 1911's

In the Feb. 2013 copy of Guns&Ammo there is a good article on the Remington R1 1911, and if I had not traded off my Kimbers in on new Colt 1911s a while back last year, I sure would have considered the Remington R1. It got a good report in the article. As for some FTFs all my 1911s over the years would sometimes have them. Mostly in first 500 to 1000 rds fired. It's many things that could cause it, but it's just part of life with the 1911s. Some times it really needs a fix, then many times it just fixs itself. so I don't feel it's a problem with the new R1.

Update on my R1S. Well north of 1K rounds and the FTF has not happened again. I was told some of the hollow point and HD ammo has those kinds of issues. I haven’t fired any aluminum ammo through any of my weapons. The closest range I go to doesn’t allow steel or aluminum. They recycle and I guess it takes too much labor to separate the different metals in the wind fall of free casings. The R1S is an absolute joy the fire. Several of my friends have fired it and have been bitten by the 1911 bug. I have since purchased a CZ P-07 Duty. A compact 9mm. It also is a lot of fun to fire. Still not a 45ACP but it’s fun and easier to carry as a CCW weapon. That SST gun really stands out and certain people freak out. I know there are those that would have a problem with it but that’s ok. It cost $430.00 complete and here in Columbus Oh 9MM and 45ACP is easy to find and at a reasonable price. The usual big name stores try to cause pricing problems because of "Ammo shortages" but if you keep an eye on smaller stores you can find it. I just refuse to give the big boys any of my hard earned money if I don't have to.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    If it were 40 or 50 years earlier I would agree a cast frame would be considered a bad thing. With today's improvements in metallurgy and manufacturing processes I believe it's a non-issue. Just my opinion.

Steve
    I would concur with this post. Investment casting is a lot better than what it used to be.