Thread: Zastava PAP yugo m70 misfeeding!!!! please help.

Zastava PAP yugo m70 misfeeding!!!! please help.

hello i recently purchased as my first ak this zastava pap m70. This gun is misfeeding over and over about 12-13 times in a 30 round clip. thats almost every other round. i have filed and smoothed the feed ramp, it was very rough, and the problem is still occuring. the bolt seems to be missing the back of the round and catching the rim (or even further forward on the casing) and sends the front of the round above or below the barrel. again i have tried smoothing the feed ramp, have tried different ammo, about 5 different style mags and this is still occuring. Please help me this is extremely annoying! thank you.

i can post pics of the jam if that would help let me know

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Is the mag fully seating? Does the mag have fore and aft slop? It sounds like it is not seating high enough for the bolt to pick up the round. If there is fore and aft slop, try shooting it while pulling back firmly on the mag.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I also agree your description is what happens of a magazine sitting too low for the bolt to pickup the rounds. The mag catch could be off spec and short. With the cover off insert an empty mag and let it hang loose. Measure the height of the feed lips below the top of the receiver with the cover off. Then pull back or push up on the mag from below. Measure again, is the distance getting smaller now, if so then the mag catch is letting the mag sit too low.

ok i have checked the height of the mag and it is only slightly loose pulling up and the mag on gives me maybe a millimeter more height which wasnt enough to stop the misfeed....i guess my next step is to order a new mag catch? or is there a way to fix the stock magcatch so the mag sits higher? and thank you guys so much for your help and input.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If the firearm is under warranty you should contact the manufacturer or importer (IE: Century, Tennessee Guns, or ???) instead of trying to guess it right yourself. I know sending a firearm back to the manufacturer is a bear, but that is what is really needed. There might be more too it, like the bolt rails installed wrong or bent, or the receiver not proper.

And that my friend is what i was afraid of. but i figured id try everything i could first. that is my last resort but thank you!

I own the same rifle and the problem would more than likely be the single stack bolt that was in the gun when they converted it to accept the high capacity magazines. I had the same problem and just switched out the bolt and took the feed ramp down so the new bolt would clear it. Zero problems since the switch. I can post pics if that would help.

ANSWER: Sometimes when you get these guns, especially any YUGO model it seems they always have grease in the front where the gas chamber is, use a solvent, then clean it out. DO NOT OIL THE PISTON this will gunk it up very bad over time. Oil the rail where the bolt slides. This should help. This is a very reliable gun, I am sure it is just a gas problem affecting the blow back.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If there's a recoil buffer in it - take it out and try it without.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Read the last part of the article. This is your problem.
    http://pfautsch.com/?p=364

Quote Originally Posted by Comanswoodwork View Post
    I own the same rifle and the problem would more than likely be the single stack bolt that was in the gun when they converted it to accept the high capacity magazines. I had the same problem and just switched out the bolt and took the feed ramp down so the new bolt would clear it. Zero problems since the switch. I can post pics if that would help.
    Please post pictures. I can barely get mine to feed bullets in at all.

Angry Expensive Fix

The problem is the single stack bolt, I also recently purchased one of these rifles and after experiencing the same FTF issues, compared the bolt to my other AKM bolts and found the Lug to be way to short and flat to feed from a double stacked magazinze, century even tried to say they "Modded" the reciever so this wouldnt be an issue....No they took the 2 mags provided with the guns and smooshed the Lips closer together so the inadequate SINGLE STACK bolt would "Kinda" work just with those mags and no others. Well not wanting to waste my money on shipping for century to do nothing, I ordered a bulgarian bolt complete, and Go,NO-GO gauges for headspace I then worked the feed ramp for clearance Installed the bolt checked Heapspace. Weapon runs great now no more FTF issues .Just a shame to have to spend another 170 dollars so a brand new rifle will do what it is supposed to do , Thanks Century

Quote Originally Posted by biglebeauski View Post
    hello i recently purchased as my first ak this zastava pap m70. This gun is misfeeding over and over about 12-13 times in a 30 round clip. thats almost every other round. i have filed and smoothed the feed ramp, it was very rough, and the problem is still occuring. the bolt seems to be missing the back of the round and catching the rim (or even further forward on the casing) and sends the front of the round above or below the barrel. again i have tried smoothing the feed ramp, have tried different ammo, about 5 different style mags and this is still occuring. Please help me this is extremely annoying! thank you.

Im having the same problem with the same gun. It jams up alot. I bought a bulgarian bolt to replace the "single stack" bolt that came in it. Besides checking headspace, what else will need to be done to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt View Post
    Im having the same problem with the same gun. It jams up alot. I bought a bulgarian bolt to replace the "single stack" bolt that came in it. Besides checking headspace, what else will need to be done to make it work?
    You will have to very carefully work the feed ramp down until the bolt will move forward into the locking lugs and rotate into the locked position without hanging up, you have to be very careful sand a little then check it repeat etc. I used a dremel on slow speed to rough it then honed it smooth with sand paper on surgical tubing on my dremel so it would be small enough and flexible enough to both fit in the reciever and make the awkward angles so as not to damage the chamber or locking lugs work your way up in grit of sand paper from coarse to fine to polish ramp, and youl have to get your angle right so the Ogive of the slug will go into the chamber and not anywhere else, why you must go slow I suggest you use a dummy round and magazine to periodically test your work, if u dont have a dummy round, I wouldnt , but you could use a live round ,just remove the firing pin and extractor from your bolt, you will have to anyway to check your headspace . On that note I would never fire a weapon that has had its bolt swapped without checking headspace unless it was life or death. This is very important. You may get away with bad heapspace for 20,30,100,2000 rounds but on the 2001th it could bulge your trunnion and really do a number on your hands and face headspace must be checked .With that bear in mind if your weapon comes up with exesive heapspace the only way to fix it is remove the barrell pin and advance or retract barrel, drilling for bigger barrel pin and installing new pin witch is quite an undertaking. Just so u nKnow you could swap the bolt and work ramp and still have a boat anchor, Good luck, and Sorry for the winded reply

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Maniac View Post
    You will have to very carefully work the feed ramp down until the bolt will move forward into the locking lugs and rotate into the locked position without hanging up, you have to be very careful sand a little then check it repeat etc. I used a dremel on slow speed to rough it then honed it smooth with sand paper on surgical tubing on my dremel so it would be small enough and flexible enough to both fit in the reciever and make the awkward angles so as not to damage the chamber or locking lugs work your way up in grit of sand paper from coarse to fine to polish ramp, and youl have to get your angle right so the Ogive of the slug will go into the chamber and not anywhere else, why you must go slow I suggest you use a dummy round and magazine to periodically test your work, if u dont have a dummy round, I wouldnt , but you could use a live round ,just remove the firing pin and extractor from your bolt, you will have to anyway to check your headspace . On that note I would never fire a weapon that has had its bolt swapped without checking headspace unless it was life or death. This is very important. You may get away with bad heapspace for 20,30,100,2000 rounds but on the 2001th it could bulge your trunnion and really do a number on your hands and face headspace must be checked .With that bear in mind if your weapon comes up with exesive heapspace the only way to fix it is remove the barrell pin and advance or retract barrel, drilling for bigger barrel pin and installing new pin witch is quite an undertaking. Just so u nKnow you could swap the bolt and work ramp and still have a boat anchor, Good luck, and Sorry for the winded reply

Thank you so much for answering my question. It would be great if you could post a picture of the feed ramp as i might could visualize exactly what you did.