Thread: Embarrassing question that I really aught to know the answer to.

Embarrassing question that I really aught to know the answer to.

What is the proper sight picture when shooting a rifle with open sites. For the last 6 or 7 years I have mostly shot rifles with a scope or a peep/aperture rear site.

When I was a kid my dad taught me to bury the front site in the bottom of the groove until the top of the site was level with the bottom of the groove and then put my target over that.

It never really made a lot of sense to me then and now it makes even less sense. When I shoot handguns I line the top of the front sight up with the top of the rear sight so it is three bars across all level at the top. From what I can find on the internet this seems to be proper sight picture although i don't really understand the reason for the 6-o-clock hold.

uncle sam taught me how to shoot with a peep site and I usually do pretty well with those.

I am referring more to a traditional buck-horn, AK, SKS, Mauser sighting setup.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How you describe shooting your pistols is the correct way to line up your sights on your AK, SKS, lever-actions and bolt-actions.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes - line the post with the top of the two "ears" of the rear sight and place the desired point of impact on top of the post.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep it's called a Patridge style sight picture. Top of sight post is lined up with the top edges of the rear sight on either side of the notch or groove. This can then be used as a 6:00 hold or a dead on hold depending on how one tunes in the elevation. Sitting the round bullseye on the top of the front sight post like putting a golf ball on a Tee is the 6:00 style, it is the best technique if you shoot the same size bullseye every time in competition or practice. If you shoot where size of the target varies I suggest the dead on hold or have the sights placed exactly where you want the bullet to strike.

Thanks guys I've been doing it wrong for a long time. I always wondered why there would be a difference in site picture between a handgun and rifle. Good to know that there isnt .

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Well don't get all carried away just yet. Post and notch then yes the top od the post lines up with the top of the notch. Same thing with a bead front sight and a 'U' notch or an express sight, "V". However if its a buckhorn rearsight then I go with your dad. The little notch on the bottom of the large "U" notch is where I sit my bead. The bead sits on the bottom of the big notch but on top of the little notch.and I only use the little notch to center the bead, If you try and bring it up to the top of the big "U" notch you have to much white space on either side of your bead to be sure of a center hold when you are trying to hold on a distant target. I should have drawn a picture but I hope my explanation makes sense.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Buckhorn Sight Picture

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Buckhorn Sight Picture

Yeah man, dats what I was trying to say but pictures is better.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Well dammit now I have to adjust the elevation on all of my rifles with open sights.