Thread: e r shaw barrel for ar-15, where to get?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

e r shaw barrel for ar-15, where to get?

i want a barrel for the build im working on, 24", ss, 1:8 or 1:9, havent decided yet, fluted and threaded heavy bull barrel.

so far, the only plac ive seen that sells it is model one, and comparing some of thier other prices, it seems quite high at $380. midway has comperable models, like the same w/o threaded muzzle, for $275, i cant see the threads adding tht much.

yes, i can thread it myself, but again, i want a fluted model, and std fluting goes close to the muzzle, so much so that cutting back the nessicary amt to thread, would make it look like shit, imo.

so does anyone know of another outlet for these barrels? i tried searching the net, and all i found was reviews, no sales.

tia.

call ER Shaw.

Not being a dick BUT, give them a call. might actually be less and can be done more specifically to your needs.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

IIRC Model 1 sales uses Shaw barrels.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

1 in 8 will let you use Sierra Match King and other Match bullets of 80 grain weight. 1 in 9 will limit you to 69, maybe if you're lucky with the 24" barrel it will do the 75 gr. bullets. Have you tried Badger barrels, Kreiger barrels, Douglas barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    1 in 8 will let you use Sierra Match King and other Match bullets of 80 grain weight. 1 in 9 will limit you to 69, maybe if you're lucky with the 24" barrel it will do the 75 gr. bullets. Have you tried Badger barrels, Kreiger barrels, Douglas barrels?
    the whole twist rate thing is still just magic to me, for as much as i know. but i do want to stay in the 55-62, up to 69 gn range with the bullets. dont plan on going super heavy with them, but might bump up to the 69's for tehj super far distance shots, if the wind seems to be pushing the 62's too much.

and i havent really tried anywhere else. im loking for a decent barrel, not top of the line high dollar, but not a barrel bottom pos either, and shaw was the first ones i found that fit all of my criteria.

why not just buy a blank?

our would you be out more time/money in the end??
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    the whole twist rate thing is still just magic to me, for as much as i know. but i do want to stay in the 55-62, up to 69 gn range with the bullets. dont plan on going super heavy with them, but might bump up to the 69's for tehj super far distance shots, if the wind seems to be pushing the 62's too much.

and i havent really tried anywhere else. im loking for a decent barrel, not top of the line high dollar, but not a barrel bottom pos either, and shaw was the first ones i found that fit all of my criteria.
    Twist is easy to understand. Heavier bullets are longer. The longer it is the faster it has to be rotated to stabilize it so it doesn't keyhole going through the target. Rotation speed is also a component of how fast you can drive the bullet through the barrel, lighter bullets go faster, heavier bullets go slower. Therefore light bullets require less twist rate to stabilize, heavier bullets require more twist rate to stabilize .... to get their RPM's up to create the gyroscopic effect / Centripital force necessary to keep it stabile in flight.

I've shot alot of 69 gr. wt. Sierras and 68 gr. Hornaday bullets out to 600 yards. Really they are most effective in bucking wind out to about 400 yards. Once you go beyond that if you want really best case accuracy you do need to shoot an 80 gr. Sierra. However those are so long the are not mag feedable as the overall length will be too much to fit in the magazine. You have to single load those. A skilled shooter can easily keep the 80 gr. bullets inside a 4 to 5" circle at 600 yards even in cross winds. Very tough to get close to that with 69 gr. bullets, more like 12" or more. 62's will be all over the place for a host of reasons, weight and quality of the bullet. M855 / SS109 projectiles are not match bullets and there really is a difference in performance between milspec and matchspec. bullets. If all you want to do is shoot Wolf / Barnual, etc. Russian ammo don't even bother going to a 24" barrel you are wasting your time and effort on the project. You can get the same results out of a 20" stock barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    call ER Shaw.

Not being a dick BUT, give them a call. might actually be less and can be done more specifically to your needs.
    i looked over their site, but from what i saw, it seemed that they only wanted to sell through authorized distributors.

i suppose i could give it a shot though, wouldnt hurt.