Thread: No More Brown Bear for Me

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

No More Brown Bear for Me

I have decided not to buy any more Brown Bear ammo. I bought 500 rounds for my CZ 82 and this weekend I fired 150 rounds. Today I cleaned my pistol and it was cleaning a chimney. I have never seen that much soot on a gun before. I was already unhappy with the way it shot, but the mess it left behind was unreal. I will use Federal, S&B, maybe Fiocci, but not any of that Russian stuff anymore.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Unfortunately the usually cheapest ammo (Russian) is also among the dirtiest. I try to only use it in my AKs, but every now and then I get a good deal on 9mm but that gets reserved for my Uzi, which with the barrel that is easily removed and cleans like a pistol, I don't really care.

For my pistols, you list my normal stock, which is primarily Sellier and Bellot, but also a dash of Fiocci and some Federal that I recently got at a great price.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Damn. I've had good luck with 9x18 silver bear and 7.62x39 brown bear. Sorry it didn't work out.

Russian in general does suck. I've just found the Bear lines to be better than some of the others.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I knew it would be dirty, I guess I am just surprised at how dirty.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

I like fiocci, in .45 acp it seems to be loaded on the hot side.

Around here there isn't much of a savings over WWB on handgun ammo for the russian or aluminum stuff. I'll buy Fiocci over WWB or UMC anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I like fiocci, in .45 acp it seems to be loaded on the hot side.

Around here there isn't much of a savings over WWB on handgun ammo for the russian or aluminum stuff. I'll buy Fiocci over WWB or UMC anyday.
    I like UMC for plinking. I use it in my 1911 all the time. It also comes in 250 round boxes. If I could find UMC in 9mm I would give it a shot.

I have Fiocci .45 ACP in HP that I like. I should try some for plinking to see if it works as well.

NRA Endowment Member

Their 230 GR FMJ feels hotter than WWB and is accurate and reliable. its not that UMC is bad or anything.

Blazer is, meh so so. I thought I got a box of traces by mistake one time when I was shooting with the sun to my back and I could see the reflection off of the back of the bullet.

If I remember right blazer brass is loaded with a small pistol primer just to piss reloaders off.

I have some Blazer 9mm FMJ, but it has aluminum casing. It shoots alright, but I think I will be more careful to keep brass ammo vice any other metal.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Thanks a lot! I have a case of BB to go through.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Aside from sooty nothing wrong with Bear ammo. It amazes me that ltorlo64 is just now coming to this "startling revelation". (rolling eyes here) Nothing like being 12 years late to the party. Seriously, BB isn't the most accurate offering, but in some guns it does alright. Tell me it gave you case ruptures or head separations or keyholing bullets and I would agree you have the right opinion about the ammo. Almost all the Russian ammo is blaster grade plinking ammo, with only a few exceptions.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-26-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Isn't BB made by Barnul?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Aside from sooty nothing wrong with Bear ammo. It amazes me that ltorlo64 is just now coming to this "startling revelation". (rolling eyes here) Nothing like being 12 years late to the party.
    I have never been known for my timeliness!

Seriously, BB isn't the most accurate offering, but in some guns it does alright. Tell me it gave you case ruptures or head separations or keyholing bullets and I would agree you have the right opinion about the ammo. Almost all the Russian ammo is blaster grade plinking ammo, with only a few exceptions.
    As for function, of 150 rounds fired that day I had 2 FTFs, both on my daughter. The ammo didn't seem to be as accurate as some, but I am not overly good with a pistol so it may have just been me. I just didn't like the amount of residue left over.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I won't fire any of the Russki steelcase through my auto pistols. Like you've stated the stuff is dirty as hell, the chimney analogy is a valid one.

I only shoot Brown Bear, Wolf, Golden Tiger, Tula, etc.. through my AK rifles. They were designed for that sooty stuff & will eat it all day long. All my other pistols, rifles, & shotties are on a strict, brass-only diet.

gave up on BB about 6 years ago after I got 7+ squibs in one day in my uzi with it .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    gave up on BB about 6 years ago after I got 7+ squibs in one day in my uzi with it .
    That is just scary from factory ammo.

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    That is just scary from factory ammo.
    Yes, pretty much so. Usually that comes from ... ahem another brand of Russian ammo. Uly and Vymple seem to be better ammos from Russia, then again the Golden Tiger is pretty good too at least in 7.62x39 chambering.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My CZ-82 with silver bear has been super accurate. I haven't felt the need to even bother paying extra for brass.

Maybe I just got lucky with my lot.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"