Thread: The Steyr AUG A3's are back!

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Am I correct in that the cheaper one takes AUG magazines and the more expensive one takes standard AR mags?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Am I correct in that the cheaper one takes AUG magazines and the more expensive one takes standard AR mags?
    I believe that is correct.

I love mine,i wouldnt sell it for anything.if you want to us ar mags,you only need to buy the nato stock.and your ready to rock.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Right the NATO model uses the standard M16 magazines.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've always been intrigued by those rifles but at that price level I'll take a pass.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

What are the advantages and or disadvantages to using the AUG mags? I'm guessing they are more expensive but IIRC they come in a wider variety of capacities versus the standard AR mag.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Originally the AUG mags came in 30 and 42 round capacities. They later came out with a 9 rounder to try to get the USR passed clinton, but a certain congress jerk went ballistic when she found out Steyr was selling the slightly modified AUG and clinton then had that banned by name.

So in short, 9, 30, and 42 round factory AUG mags are available.

Didn't Beta-C make a drum mag also?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Didn't Beta-C make a drum mag also?
    yeah if you got arms like an octopus to shoot it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Rumour has it that MSAR has their STG-556 back in production as well. I would like to get one of those with a 20" barrel and OD stock. Haven't seen one yet though.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

What are the advantages and or disadvantages to using the AUG mags? I'm guessing they are more expensive but IIRC they come in a wider variety of capacities versus the standard AR mag.
    Capacities covered already. Molded polymer mag, very tough compared to the aluminum stock GI mag but then there are other M16 synthetic mags now that are about as tough. They are rock in and rock out really. They won't eject, at least the one I tried an MSAR rifle would not eject when pushing the mag release. I totally got unintersted at that point as mag change was about a 3 handed process, hold weapon squeeze release and pull out mag. Personally I found myself one hand short. Maybe there's a slicker way to do it like press the release up with a thumb maybe and grab the mag body with your 4 fingers and rock it out. Very clunky in any event. If the Nato stock will eject the mag when pushing the release I would consider an Aug type.

It is my understanding that on the Styer built AUG’s the mags will drop free. I think it is the MSAR ones that don't drop free, at least on the AUG style mags. I don't know about the NATO style. I think it would be nicer if they dropped free. It is also my understanding that MSAR AUG style mags and real AUG mags are not interchangeable either. Which I think is also lame. That being said on both of those I am pretty sure you can see how many rounds you have as the mag is transparent. It would seem to me that, that is the big advantage over your standard AR mag. Also because you don't have to have a bend in the mag to fit in an AR type mag well the mag probably feeds better. It would also seem to me that the aluminium GI mags aren't the sturdiest either so AUG style mags are probably more durable than those. With the newer polymer AR mags though I think a lot of those advantages are gone.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I had a MSAR and it was a cool rifle. I only shot 300rds through it, but it was accurate and reliable. I ultimately sold it cause it just wasn't for me since I have to shoot left handed. yes, I had a couple of left handed bolts for it. BTW, when Dave was at MSAR the CS was super. When he left and the company went under is when I decided to sell. If I hit the lotto tonight I would buy one of these AUGs. Since that probably will not happen, my ARs launch 5.56 bullets just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedcomrade View Post
    ... my ARs launch 5.56 bullets just fine.
    Exactly and they are probably a ton cheaper too!

Well the Steyr A3's with the NATO stock do not have a bolt release button FWIW.