Thread: In Ca. Can i put a foregrip on my Ak47 pistol?

In Ca. Can i put a foregrip on my Ak47 pistol?

I just got a ak47 pistol & put a tactical rail on it. Someone told me i can put a foregrip on it if the gun is longer than 26 inches. Is this true? I was thinking about putting a fake silencer on the barrel to get it to 26 inches. Any input will help. Thank u.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Unfortunately I can't help you with commiefornia laws, but in the rest of the country that has some rights left, the barrel would have to be a minimum of 16 inches, and the overall length a minimum of 26 inches which would qualify it as a rifle. On a rifle you can put a forward grip on with no problems. A pistol would require meeting the 1934 NFA to have a front grip, making the firearm an "Any Other Weapon" (what ever the heck that was/is) and the paying of the federal blackmail tax and resulting paperwork required.

Again, that is the rest of the country, and only states that still believe in the Constitution of the United States of America as far as the feds allow these days. Suggest checking with someone trustworthy in your state to get the truth. Remember, even the police don't always know the truth. Here in Indiana anything is legal that the feds allow except short shotguns. Unfortunately we still have police that will stop you because you are open carrying a pistol even though you paid your Indiana tax for the "right" to exercise your rights. And they will tell you it is illegal even though they are wrong.

Hang in, hopefully someone from your state or someone who is familiar with cali law will be by soon. Until then enjoy this site and feel free to join in on any of what is going on.

And just a word of warning, in some threads a thick skin is required!

Good luck and again welcome to the group.

Thx for the info. & thats what i was told is the "other" category. I did not know i would have to pay for that though. That sucks. Well, no foregrip i guess.

However, you MIGHT be able to put on an "AFG...angled fore grip" like from Magpul. But in Kaliforny....who knows ?? So I guess 10 rnds is the max on your mags?
    There is more to life than increasing it's speed.

Yes. 10 rounds with a retarded ca. Bullet button. But i got 5 clips. It only takes an extra 3 sec or so to change. But its a home defense weapon so i know that 2-3 sec might make the difference between life & death. Just bought a saiga 12 also but i am in the 10 day ca. waiting period.

Im still getting use to all this. I use to live in phx. Arizona where almost anything goes. I miss that a lot!!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verti...grip#section_2

It says: The ATF has stated that such grips do not make an AOW from a handgun.[4]

So i guess an angled one might be the way to go. Thank u

Do u happen to know anything about gas masks? Looking for a quality full view gas mask that i dont have to pay alot for.

Though mine is not an ak it is an ar pistol and I wrote the atf on the AFG and you can read my response from them and see it in the pic below....

In Ca. Can i put a foregrip on my Ak47 pistol?

Arizona is probably the most pro gun state in the US. CA one of the worst. Be very careful modifying anything there. If I lived in CA I'd buy a revolver for security and get a new hobby, like tie dye.

The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989, its subsequent augmentation in 1999, and the .50 Caliber BMG Regulation Act of 2004 have led to many restrictions on semi-automatic firearms. In addition to a lengthy list of specific firearms that are banned by name, the following firearms are banned by characteristic (from Penal Code section 12276.1) :

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.
    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches [762 mm].
    (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip.
    (B) A second handgrip.
    (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
    (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
    (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
    (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
    (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
    (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
    (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
    In addition, (Penal Code §§ 12001.5) bans, by definition, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles. Defined in Penal Code §§ 12020; a short-barreled shotgun is defined as a firearm (designed, redesigned, or altered) to fire a fixed shotgun shell and has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled rifle is defined as a semiautomatic, center fire rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    Last edited by Lemoncade; 03-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.