Thread: PSL rifles - what they going for?

PSL rifles - what they going for?

Can't find any online.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I couldn't find any online either.

I say don't pay more than $700-$800 with the scope. Otherwise you might as well get a VEPR.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I see one at $765 on gunbroker and the rest are between $1200 and $1600... wow they were everywhere at $600 to $850 a few years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I couldn't find any online either.

I say don't pay more than $700-$800 with the scope. Otherwise you might as well get a VEPR.
    Yea, at over $1000 I'd go for the VEPR... Better rifle...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Yea, at over $1000 I'd go for the VEPR... Better rifle...
    Even a .308 Siaga at the 7 bills.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Geez, I didn't know that these things were rare as hens' teeth these days. I decided to get some more mags for mine today after reading this thread and was only able to find one source that had them: $45 each! Ouch! I ordered one mag anyway along with a scope cover and a 4-magazine pouch.

I remember when PSLs were selling for as low as $500 w/o the scope for a while, and a 4-mag pouch with 4 mags was around $50. That's the goofy thing about gun collecting: One day something is plentiful and cheap and the next day it's rare and expensive!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Man, they doubled in price!

That's crazy. I'd definitely go for a Saiga in .308 or a VEPR if it was over $700 as others have suggested.

Sure, they don't have that schnazzy muzzle break or the nice "spring loaded" buttstock. (A cool feature IMHO)...

But their receivers and performance are pretty much the same. The VEPR's are also about the nicest looking AK varrient this side of Finland or Israel.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 10-02-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Glad I bought mags when they were 4 in a pouch for $99... Think I have ten total for my PSL... I also picked up a Russian 8x50 I'm moving back and forth from the PSL to the M76... I'd like to get a 3-9x50...

It's not the guns going up...it is the value of our $$$$$$ going down. Not so long ago gold was $240 per oz...and todays price is ever up...guns and gold...great investments...and if you have the guns you can get the gold.

Diesel 88888888

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Actually been seeing quite a few of those rifles lately in my area, both @ gun shows & in some shops. Prices have been in the $700-800 range.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Glad I bought mags when they were 4 in a pouch for $99... Think I have ten total for my PSL... I also picked up a Russian 8x50 I'm moving back and forth from the PSL to the M76... I'd like to get a 3-9x50...
    About four years ago I lucked out and bought 10 rusty non-functional PSL mags for around $120. I cleaned them up and hand-fitted them to my PSL and they all seem to work fine. No more rust and the pitting isn't super-visible, although I do bring it out with the mag it came with to photograph it and that sort of thing.

I've been wanting an 8x posp for my PSL, maybe I should check out a variable power instead. I've just not had any experience with Russian variable power scopes before.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Me neither... I've had an 8x (no intrigal mount) on an AK for ten years and picked up the intrigal mount 8x at the Houston fun show from the Military Gun Supply rep for $100. I have Russian, Romanian and Yugo scopes and like them. What your used to I guess. They hold up pretty well. I think the Russians are making a 4-12x55 now, I could go for that as well.

The variables have gone way up since I started looking at them. They used to be $250/$300, now up to $400/$500...

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Geez, I didn't know that these things were rare as hens' teeth these days. I decided to get some more mags for mine today after reading this thread and was only able to find one source that had them: $45 each! Ouch! I ordered one mag anyway along with a scope cover and a 4-magazine pouch.

I remember when PSLs were selling for as low as $500 w/o the scope for a while, and a 4-mag pouch with 4 mags was around $50. That's the goofy thing about gun collecting: One day something is plentiful and cheap and the next day it's rare and expensive!
    Two years ago J&G had four mags and a four cell pouch $100.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep, prices have gone up for reasons that are not that hard to understand. 1, supply, nobody seems to have any for sale now at the wholesale level and 2, the dollar is getting devalued daily. I wish I could go back or send a letter back to myself 2 weeks before the Muslim Terrorist attacks of 9-1-2001. I'd tell myself to place an order for a container of about 3 million rounds of Golden Tiger 7.62x39 from a noted Wholesale gun company somewhere in Ohio. I could of got it for $45 a case. At the time I ordered 20 cases. Then I'd sit on it until Novemember of 2008 and sell it for 35 cents a round and as a result retire. (Well not quite as that would of only netted me $300,000).