Thread: Advice needed for removing "pattern 1" bayonet

Question Advice needed for removing "pattern 1" bayonet

I'm kind of a hands-on learner - but I got in a bit too deep now!

When I purchased my Century Arms ak47 it came with a bayonet. I finally decided to try it out - I was curious how it looked. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until later that it didn't have a release button on it. After doing some researching, it looks like something called a "pattern 1 bulgarian" bayonet - but that might not be right. Basically it slid on and locked into place. The base part is rather skinny - not thicker like the one's I've seen a lot in pictures and in forums. There is no release button that I can see. I don't see any release buttons on my AK - butttt I am new to them yet, so I might be missing something. One other thing I tried was turning the two screws in the handle to see if I had to actually take it apart. The nut side of the machine screws just spun as well (looks like almost like a rivet - but it's incredibly greasy so I don't know).

What are my options for removing this? I assumed it would be easy to snap on/take off - otherwise I wouldn't have attached it in the first place!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The Type 1 bayo locks onto the cleaning rod holder on the front sight. Just under the front sight the bayo should have a release that you pull down. It is not a button.

Hi and thanks for the note back. Perhaps I guessed wrong at the type of bayonet - remember, I was only looking at pictures.

I was able to take a picture during lunch. I have it attached. I'm not entirely certain if this IS the type-1 and - if so - where exactly the holder is.
    2012-10-02 12.20.44.jpg

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Added your photo. The release lever is on the bottom of the part that fits around the muzzle device, the slant brake in this case. Pull down on it (in relation the the rifle in the normal position) to release the bayo.

Oh wow! Thanks so much. I didn't even know this part moved. Next step - clean up the extreme goo so I don't feel so gross next time I mess around with it.

Thanks again for the quick response. Gonna have to stick around, read a bit, learn more, and hopefully help out

Glad I could help you. Don't feel bad about not being able to figure it out, because to be honest the first time I was handed an AK with that type bayo installed, it took me a while to figure it out.

Just want to warn you that AKs are very addictive. After you have a good time with one at the range, you want to get another, maybe different country, different style (underfolder, side folder) or even a different caliber. Before you know it you have a nice collection and are fully AK-addicted!

PS, thanks for your PM. Will keep you in mind if the need comes up.