Thread: Question About Russian AKM/AK74 Mag Pouches

Question About Russian AKM/AK74 Mag Pouches

I have been looking around the Net for information on Russian AKM/AK74 magazine pouches. Reason being I recently acquired a Izmash/Arsenal SGL21-62. I have encountered primarily three types of Soviet mag pouches. The first are four pocket, khaki cloth, with black leather securing tabs. Pouches for both cleaning kit and oil bottle as well. Second is almost the same, but only has three mag pockets, with brown or black leather tabs. Third is a four pocket variant with a separate tab inside to secure one (reserve?) magazine. Material is a greenish cloth, and is supposed to date from the late 1970s-early 1980s. Any information regarding these pouches, or which Aks they might be specifically for, would be appreciated. Also, is there a resource out there whom can supply the newer plastic oil bottle and cleaning accessories which would be stored in the pouch pockets? Thanks.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Without photos of the pouches in question and in particular any stampings on them I can't definitively say much about them. What you describe could be; Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish (3 cell variety) and the tab inside type might be East German for the AK 74.

Examples:
    This is Bulgarian.

This is Bulgarian

This is East German Raindrop pattern camo pouch for AK 74, can be used with 47 mags as well, they commonly have a tab with snap to retain one of the 4 mags in a cell under the flap. I've owned all of these at one time or other, these are not images of any that I myself did own, I found them on the web to use in this answer.

Thanks for your help. I have attached the three pouches in question, along with what I guess would be an appropriate waist belt to attach the pouch to:
    [ATTACH]1835
    [ATTACH]1837
    [ATTACH]1836
    [ATTACH]1838
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pwcosol; 10-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.