Thread: Shipping Firearms, Anyone Done It?

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Shipping Firearms, Anyone Done It?

As I have mentioned, I will be transferred to DC in the near future. I am looking at having the movers ship about half of my long guns, the ones I can take the bolt out of. I will keep the bolts in the stuff I am moving and let them take the rest of the gun. At least that is my plan. The Navy will insure my weapons for replacement value, so I am not too concerned about that, and the guns that are really expensive (at least to me) or have sentimental value, as well as my handguns, will go with me. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? What should I look out for?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    As I have mentioned, I will be transferred to DC in the near future. I am looking at having the movers ship about half of my long guns, the ones I can take the bolt out of. I will keep the bolts in the stuff I am moving and let them take the rest of the gun. At least that is my plan. The Navy will insure my weapons for replacement value, so I am not too concerned about that, and the guns that are really expensive (at least to me) or have sentimental value, as well as my handguns, will go with me. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? What should I look out for?
    This is just my opinion as I don't know the gun laws in all states. Unless you have a concealed weapons permit, your guns should be unloaded and locked out of reach. In your trunk will do. If you have a concealed weapons permit, you will need to check all states you will pass through for reciprocity with your state of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    This is just my opinion as I don't know the gun laws in all states. Unless you have a concealed weapons permit, your guns should be unloaded and locked out of reach. In your trunk will do. If you have a concealed weapons permit, you will need to check all states you will pass through for reciprocity with your state of issue.
    Thanks. I do this when I move. They will be locked in my trunk. I may keep one in front with me, but I have not decided on that yet. The only state I really get concerned with, and I am not going near it this time is Massachessets (-5 sp). I don't know if they still have them, but there used to be signs as you entered the state warning you not to transport firearms across their state. I believe that Congress fixed that so you can transport firearms through all states as long as you are in compliance with the state you left.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

DC has the worst gun laws in the nation. Unless you want to become one of the test cases in court DO NOT TAKE GUNS INTO DC!!!!

I would move into Virginia if you can and commute...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    DC has the worst gun laws in the nation. Unless you want to become one of the test cases in court DO NOT TAKE GUNS INTO DC!!!!

MD isn't too friendly with guns either. As long as your handguns are unloaded and in the trunk (and in a container that clearly shows it's a firearm [gun case will do, or a bag with handgun written on it] you'll be fine. Make sure the bullets aren't in any magazines and they are stored away from the guns, in a separate container.) In the country areas, you shouldn't have any trouble, but the urban areas are a different story. DC is definitely a no-no for guns unless you're a cop or a criminal. DC and Md don't trust their law-abiding citizens to carry guns....only cops and criminals are allowed that privilege.

VA is a much more gun-friendly state.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Maryland has a 20 round magazine limit I do believe. I wonder what Delaware's laws are? Virginia is probably your best bet for gun friendly ground to live on. There isn't enough money on the planet to make me live in the cesspool of Washington DC or the 2nd Amendment infringing Maryland. On shipping firearms with MOVERS ... NEVER! They are the biggest thieves most of the time. Your best bet would be to bubble wrap them in a vault then close and lock it. Make them pick the whole thing up and put it on the van. A lot harder that way to steal them. Record ALL Serial numbers. Photograph All of the weapons, note anything unusual about them. A suggestion; take the barreled receivers out of all the stocks and ship the stocks via the movers as an alternate idea. Those should take up a lot less room. Hard to be accused of wanting to use a rifle when it has no stock with it and the bolts are out.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-08-2012 at 06:19 AM.

DITTO
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Thanks. I do this when I move. They will be locked in my trunk. I may keep one in front with me, but I have not decided on that yet. The only state I really get concerned with, and I am not going near it this time is Massachessets (-5 sp). I don't know if they still have them, but there used to be signs as you entered the state warning you not to transport firearms across their state. I believe that Congress fixed that so you can transport firearms through all states as long as you are in compliance with the state you left.
    Watch out for Illinois as well. Last time I traveled through there we ran into signs as we entered stating that there was a firearms checkpoint ahead. Never did see anything and all of our firearms were unloaded and cased in the trunk but it was still an uncomfortable feeling seeing those signs.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Watch out for Illinois as well. Last time I traveled through there we ran into signs as we entered stating that there was a firearms checkpoint ahead. Never did see anything and all of our firearms were unloaded and cased in the trunk but it was still an uncomfortable feeling seeing those signs.
    A firearms checkpoint? Jesus and you guys give us Californians a bad time.

I'd stay away from DC and MD too. And I would definitely NOT keep a firearm up front with me.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I've lived in IL just outside Chicago since 1981 & have never seen any signs like that.

Per conversations I've had w/ the IL State Police & some local cops in the past; if your transporting any type of firearm it must be unloaded and in a secure place, preferably a trunk or cased in the back seat. If you're also transporting ammo for said firearms ideally it should be housed in a different section of the vehicle, i.e., guns in trunk, ammo in cabin or vice-versa.

I am planning on living in Arlington or Alexandria. I will be working near the Pentagon and those are fairly close by.

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I've lived in IL just outside Chicago since 1981 & have never seen any signs like that.

Per conversations I've had w/ the IL State Police & some local cops in the past; if your transporting any type of firearm it must be unloaded and in a secure place, preferably a trunk or cased in the back seat. If you're also transporting ammo for said firearms ideally it should be housed in a different section of the vehicle, i.e., guns in trunk, ammo in cabin or vice-versa.
    This was about three years ago on I-64 coming into Illinois from St. Louis. IIRC we were about an hour into the state. Saw the signs on the shoulder (Firearms Checkpoint Ahead) or words to that effect, but never did see any checkpoints.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Maryland has a 20 round magazine limit I do believe. I wonder what Delaware's laws are? Virginia is probably your best bet for gun friendly ground to live on. There isn't enough money on the planet to make me live in the cesspool of Washington DC or the 2nd Amendment infringing Maryland. On shipping firearms with MOVERS ... NEVER! They are the biggest thieves most of the time. Your best bet would be to bubble wrap them in a vault then close and lock it. Make them pick the whole thing up and put it on the van. A lot harder that way to steal them. Record ALL Serial numbers. Photograph All of the weapons, note anything unusual about them. A suggestion; take the barreled receivers out of all the stocks and ship the stocks via the movers as an alternate idea. Those should take up a lot less room. Hard to be accused of wanting to use a rifle when it has no stock with it and the bolts are out.
    I have all the SNs recorded. Taking a picture is a great idea. I have most, but I will get pictures of all of them. The only weapons I am going to ship are the ones I can easily replace. Since the Navy will pay replacement cost that should work out well. I had to replace a TV in one move and fix our dining room table in the last one. Both were very simple. I just had to show them the item I had, and then find a comparable item to purchase and the Navy sent me a check for it. The TV was really interesting. We had an old tube type TV that the movers dropped. Since no one made tube type TVs anymore the Navy paid for a comparable sized flat screen. Worked out pretty well. Of course, I would prefer to not have to replace any of my firearms, but the ones that are not replacable will be with me.

NRA Endowment Member

This was about three years ago on I-64 coming into Illinois from St. Louis. IIRC we were about an hour into the state. Saw the signs on the shoulder (Firearms Checkpoint Ahead) or words to that effect, but never did see any checkpoints.
    Forgot about the People's Republic of Illinois. I am going west to east coast so I will have to take that into account. I may try to see my Grandma in Texas, which would fix that, but if not, it is something to remember.

NRA Endowment Member

God I love Alexandria....such a beautiful/fun/cool area.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

It appears they have to be registered and you have to get a license. Personally, I think jumping through the hoops is more trouble than it's worth. I certainly wouldn't just ship them to my place in DC.
    Good luck, what a clusterF that place is. Bizarre the countries capital is so infringing on the 2nd amendment.
    http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/d...umbia-gun-laws

Here's a link to the ATF's State Laws and published ordinances. I suggest you read it before you ship your firearms into DC.
    http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire...ion/index.html
    I believe the law regarding handguns has changed since the publication and the requirement for keeping your rifles and shotguns disassembled has changed since the SCOTUS ruling, but Registration and licensing are still in force.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 10-15-2012 at 05:42 AM.