Thread: new here, just bought a Tiger

new here, just bought a Tiger

hello, I just happened to come across a Dragunov Tiger this weekend. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about this gun. I've wanted one of these for years. I'd eventually like to get an SVD stock set but can't seem to find any. Also an SVD flash hider, can't find one of those either. by the way, how to you put one on? not much room on the end of the barrel.

Last edited by imanaknut; 10-08-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added photo

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Nice Rifle! You'll like it.

Here is my TIGR:

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Congrats on finding a TIGR, very hard to find these days, and usually more expensive than most people want to spend.

First, looks like you have the full ringed front sight, a big plus as most Tigers (TIGRs) had the ring removed. Finding an SVD front sight/flash hider ( those were one piece) is like trying to win the lottery. If you do find one they are very expensive. Figure $300 and up! To install the assembly, you just knock out the cross pins holding your old front sight, press it off, press on the new sight/hider assembly and reinstall the cross pins.

Finding an SVD rear stock is not as hard, but figure $250 to $300 plus for one these days.

Don't click if you have a heart condition...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=309779729

These guys are in the UK, they are out of stocks sets right now, but sometimes do have them:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/ak_furniture.htm

Edit:
    I checked their "incoming" list and it looks like they are expecting synth stock sets and sight/flash suppressor assemblies this month:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/ak_accessories.htm
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 10-08-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks. I picked this up at a garage sale some buisness was having. $1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Thanks. I picked this up at a garage sale some buisness was having. $1,000.
    Let me restate what I said earlier - - - Welcome to the group, I hate you!!!!!!! Seriously, in today's market you stole that rifle. I have seen Tigers selling for $2000 and up these days. Judging by the markings on your other photo, you have the more (to me) desirable 1993 import. They had more and nicer markings than the 1994, the only other year of importation of the "SVD Hunting Rifle".

I haven't seen one go for under $1,800 in maybe 5-8 years... Good buy you got there...

Next to my Wife's 10/22
    IMAG1556.jpg

I do have a question about the scope. Its a PSO-1M2 which I'm sure you guys can tell. It does not have a bulb or battery in it. I found a site that has bulbs and different batteries. What battery does it take? They list coin cells but the battery holder doesn't look like its made for coin cells. Odd looking battery holder.

The bulb is in a compartment under the scope, almost dead center between the mounts. It should unscrew. Be careful because I had one that did a nice job of unscrewing itself, and so far I have not been able to find a reliable replacement because mine has been converted to AA battery and most bulbs are for the coin type. If I remember correctly, they uses three batteries in a stack.

Actually I have several SVD style scopes, the one on my TIGR is unconverted to stay original, and unfortunately is too buried in my safe to easily dig out to verify how many batteries it takes.

And then I rechecked your photo and noticed the bulb and holder is missing. As you can tell from what I wrote above, they have a habit of going AWOL. I suggest calling the company selling the bulbs to tell them which scope you have and let them make the decision as to the proper one. I have yet to replace the one missing from the scope I use on my SAR-1 mainly because I am too lazy to call. Retirement does that.

Guessing you checked here: http://kalinkaoptics.com/

Nice pick-up on the Tiger. For a grand you positively stole that rifle. I paid $1500 for mine back in '05, and I thought I paid too much. If you're looking for stocks, keep an eye on GB. There are deals to be had there, you just need a little patience and some luck.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.