Thread: Muzzle Brake slop

Muzzle Brake slop

Wasr 10 , added AK-74 type brake ran down to the furthest position that lock pin would hold and have measured 3/32 slop , I don't want to split lead at the brake, is that enough to cause it? I can tighten w/o using pin, just askin opinions from some old hands at it. BTW here's a pic of item

Thanks Guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

On my AKs there is a little slop in the muzzle device. It definitely isn't timed to be completely tight at the last indentation.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Some folks install a crush washer .

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Some slop is normal, some people use the crush washer, some people will shave the back of the brake a little at a time to get it to make enough added rotation to just bearly lock in, and some people take too much off and wind up with one more turn of a still loose brake. Seriously!

I had a couple brakes that would turn about one half turn past the pin before being tight. On those I took a file and very slowly removed some of the back of the brake until it turned enough to lock in tightly.

To make sure a bullet is not going to hit the brake, drop a dowel rod into the bore and see if it contacts the brake when you wiggle the brake around. If it does slightly, you can either file the brake to get it to turn on until it tightens at the lock in, and then check again to make sure the dowel is now clear. I had one AK-74 brake that didn't square up on my rifle, an SAR-1 and I wound up opening the end of the brake until it had some good clearance with the dowel.

That pin is not just to hold the muzzle device in place but to line it up for correct function. The AK-74 brake should have holes in it that must align in a certain direction, plus the cut outs at the end also need a side to side alignment. That is the primary function of the locking pin.

Thanks Guys, I had a feeling they were meant to be straight left and right, I have a coarse whetrock that's nice and flat, or would it be better put her in the vise and file ?

I used a good amount on locktite and used the same technique that imananut suggested to make sure it was all lined up while it dried. It's seen a good bit of use and it's nice and wiggle free.