Thread: Got kicked off the shooting range for my ak pistol

Got kicked off the shooting range for my ak pistol

I live in California. My 10 day waiting period was up today. I got it from the dealer & went straight to the range. I had put 40 rounds through it when the range guy came up to me & kicked me off the range. He said ak 47 pistols are not legal in Ca.

I got this gun legally. Its in my name. Has a ca. Bullet button & a 10 round mag. Am i missing somthing here? Is this guy wrong? Or are they illegal even with a bullet button & i was sold an illegal weapon? Your input please & thanks.

Range guys are like the counter monkeys at gun stores. A lot of huff and blow, but short on substance. That said, not being a resident of the Democratic Peoples Republic of California, I'm not well versed in your gun laws. However, I've read quite a bit, plus I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I do know is that the AG in your state has a list of approved handguns. Is your pistol on the DOJ approved list? That might be where he's coming from. Several handguns that are legal in the free states don't cut the mustard in Kali. Check their list. If it's on there, you're good to go.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak guy View Post
    I live in California. My 10 day waiting period was up today. I got it from the dealer & went straight to the range. I had put 40 rounds through it when the range guy came up to me & kicked me off the range. He said ak 47 pistols are not legal in Ca.

I got this gun legally. Its in my name. Has a ca. Bullet button & a 10 round mag. Am i missing somthing here? Is this guy wrong? Or are they illegal even with a bullet button & i was sold an illegal weapon? Your input please & thanks.
    AK styles are banned in Cali by manufacturer name. Basically a list of everything that was on the market at the time of the ban. Which is why you can get a new Saiga but not a new VEPR.

Sooooo... Depending on who made your pistol the range guy "may" be correct. But probably not, since you did purchase it at a shop. As a handgun in Cali you should have your registration paperwork am I right? That would prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your weapon is GTG.

If you don't have the registration paperwork, then you've got a liability and you're dealer is a bad person. I would gladly relieve you of such a burden. I'll even pay for shipping...

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

What a douche! Sorry you have to put up with such nonsense!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    What a douche! Sorry you have to put up with such nonsense!
    I have never been issued any paperwork for a handgun in this state and i have bought a few.

A pistol only has to be on the list to be sold, not to be owned. There are several ways around the list and once the gun is yours it's fair game as long as it's not an assault weapon. As Dr. Gonzo said the assault weapons ban is only able to ban firearms specifically by model name so AK-47 is too generic, It has to be something like Arsenal SLR-100. All you have to do is make a SLS-100 to get around the list.

Features are banned but there are ways around that too.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I have never been issued any paperwork for a handgun in this state and i have bought a few.
    Serious? My FFL always insisted I had a copy of the registration paperwork to prove that the items in question was indeed registered to me if any questions came up.

I have bought pistols at 4 or 5 different gunstores and don't even know what registration paperwork looks like all I've ever done is shown my handgun safety cert filled out the 4473 and dros and picked it up 10 days later

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I have bought pistols at 4 or 5 different gunstores and don't even know what registration paperwork looks like all I've ever done is shown my handgun safety cert filled out the 4473 and dros and picked it up 10 days later
    It's the DROS. That's the one they would insist I keep with my handguns. My ffl was probably just doing a little extra CYA. This was in Marin county though, so I can't blame them for being a little paranoid.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

I live in California.
    i think i found your problem.

MOVE!

I've read several posts @ CalGuns, and from what some of the members told me, your pistol is legal. Bullet button, 10 rd. mag, and barrel of 6" or longer sounds like it's legit. I have sold many AK pistol kits to guys in Kali that they build themselves or at build parties.
    A majority of outdoor ranges DO NOT allow steel jacketed ammo. Could this have been a contributing factor in your removal from the range also? Yugo 7.62x39 and 54R brass cased and copper jacketed ammo fetch a premium price because of the range restrictions.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    LOL

Hey youre on calguns too. welcome to gns bro
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations

Jusy got mt SAM7K and havent tried it at the range yet....in Kailfornia. Sacramento Area. I wonder what range he was kicked out of?

welcome to the forum. Enjoy!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Return of a necro-thread.

Or a reminder that we the people do not have the right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Return of a necro-thread.

Or a reminder that we the people do not have the right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed.
    We still have the right. Its being infringed upon, but we were all born with that right.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    this!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

l921428x = Sauron Bringing back dead posts.... welcome to the board! Just a year late - I'm sure he'll read this.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~