Thread: help a brother out, ar gas block

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

help a brother out, ar gas block

so I have a bushmaster hbar I want to swap the front sight for either a low profile or railed gasblock, but am finding 3 different sizes, anyone know which I should get?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Idea: Take the current one off and measure the hole or the barrel, you're pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Idea: Take the current one off and measure the hole or the barrel, you're pick.
    I can't get the pins out, so it's going to the smith, and I'd prefer to have the new one with it when I send it in.

Chances are that if it's an HBAR it uses .750 diameter gasblocks.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I can't get the pins out, so it's going to the smith, and I'd prefer to have the new one with it when I send it in.
    Pins are tapered and only come out one way. Gun laying handle towards you, barrel pointing to the left, use a starter punch and H-Bars use a .750 block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0J3pRcNus
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it's going to a gunsmith let him select the gas block. BTW .750 sounds about right. As mentioned the pins are tapered pins, look close and you should be able to see (Unless you are Stevie Wonder) the small side vs. the big side. Hit the small side for removal, big side for installation. Frankly you should be able to do your own gas block installation, why pay out good money for such an easy task?

yea.
    don't take much to get the pins out.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

so I have a bushmaster hbar I want to swap the front sight for either a low profile or railed gasblock, but am finding 3 different sizes, anyone know which I should get?
    Something to consider is that not all gas blocks have the same pin spacing. I've run into this a couple times and from my perspective it is almost impossible to re-drill another pin slot in the barrel with home tools.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

everyone seems to be forgetting the gas tube is attached to the gas block as well.

depending on how much its been used, how dirty its gotten, and how well its been cleaned, the gas tube may very well be virtually frozen in there with carbon.

may be easier to just get a new one and replace it with the fsb. an alternative would be to soak the fuck out of it for a few days beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it's going to a gunsmith let him select the gas block. BTW .750 sounds about right. As mentioned the pins are tapered pins, look close and you should be able to see (Unless you are Stevie Wonder) the small side vs. the big side. Hit the small side for removal, big side for installation. Frankly you should be able to do your own gas block installation, why pay out good money for such an easy task?
    he's not knowledgeable about AR stuff.

I'd also point out that I've been tapping the pins from the left side with no luck, but I don't have a good place to do such things, hence why the AR is going to him. Besides that you have to bend the gas tube for the freefloat tube to work, and I would much rather him do it than me.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    everyone seems to be forgetting the gas tube is attached to the gas block as well.

depending on how much its been used, how dirty its gotten, and how well its been cleaned, the gas tube may very well be virtually frozen in there with carbon.

may be easier to just get a new one and replace it with the fsb. an alternative would be to soak the fuck out of it for a few days beforehand.
    Well, it's only a rollpin that holds that gas tube in.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

he's not knowledgeable about AR stuff.

I'd also point out that I've been tapping the pins from the left side with no luck, but I don't have a good place to do such things, hence why the AR is going to him. Besides that you have to bend the gas tube for the freefloat tube to work, and I would much rather him do it than me.
    Bend the gas tube? I've never had to do that with the add of a freefloat tube.
    The pins do come out relatively easy if you use a starret punch.