Thread: Picked up an M1 garand CMP special Today :)

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Picked up an M1 garand CMP special Today :)

The CMP western cup games are going on this weekend at my local range ( Ben Avery).

After a great day shooting i wandered over to the CMP tent and found a "new" garand built on a '54 - '55 springfield receiver. This has a new criterion barrel, new stock and all refinished USGI parts. Also picked up 200 rounds of Hornady A-Max match ammo. IT WAS A VERY GOOD DAY !!

I'll post some pics tomorrow, i haven't exactly broken the news to my wife yet and she's sitting on the couch watching TV

I'm just going to tell her i've always had it, it's just been sitting in the back of the safe.

She's kind of racist when it comes to rifles....she thinks they all look alike

Here they are

The one on top is the springfield armory Iwo Jima commemorative i bought 4 years ago

There some major differences in the stocks from the original GI issue and the recreation.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Very nice! After selling both of mine, another CMP Garand is next on my "To Buy" list.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Congrats on the new rifle, DP.

I bought a 1943 Springfield Garand just over a year ago & it's become one of my favorite "shooters" in the collection.

Piiingg!

I have 2 Garands that I really enjoy shooting. Can you tell me what paper work you must have to buy a CMP rifle? Do you have to be a registered Compt. shooter? Thx.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    I have 2 Garands that I really enjoy shooting. Can you tell me what paper work you must have to buy a CMP rifle? Do you have to be a registered Compt. shooter? Thx.
    google odcmp, go th o their website, it spells it all out for you. you do have to have competed in shooting competitions, but there are ways around that too.

I must be dense, yes I am. I went there but not clear on shooting issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    No you don't have to be a registered competitor

I read all the requirements on their website and was a little worried because other than being a lifetime nra member, i do not have any current club affiliations.

All i had with me was my USMC reserve ID, wallet size copy of my birth certificate and drivers license and they just glanced at those, and didn't take down any info. I picked out the rifle, filled out a short questionnaire somewhat similar to a 4473, waited about an hour and took the rifle home.

They sold a lot of rifles yesterday, probably over 100. Some guys were buying two or three. I think their regulations are a little more relaxed when they don't have to ship the rifle and can talk to you in person.

The only guy i saw get delayed was a retired army helicopter pilot i was talking to while i waited. It was about 5:30 in the afternoon and they told him to come back today to finish up and get his rifle.

These guys are a great bunch. A young guy had shown up with one of the rifles he purchased from their website and asked the armorer to check the head spacing. The armorer took it and came back explaining that the head space was good and that he had replaced the op rod and gas plug, no charge.

I took the rifle to the range today and was more than pleased. Didn't get to take it out to 100 yards cause the winds kicked up to 30+ mph and started blowing targets off the range. But in the process of getting the sites zeroed i did manage to get a couple of nice sub 2'' groups at 50 yards, not too bad for 60 year old eyes.

Ok thanks I am a NRA Certified Inst. Police and Civilian. I have shot NRA Hi power IPSC on and on. How often do they sell these at Avery. I shoot the BP matches there.

Not real sure, but probably only while there is a CMP sponsored event. I just got lucky, i hadn't planned on going to the match, but had set aside saturday to sight in two of my rifles i mounted new scopes on and the CMP tent was right next to the main range and i gave in to temptation.

PM me the next time you come down, i'll let you shoot my garand if you let me shoot your BP rifle, i've been thinking of getting more acquainted with black powder shooting

Not quite as nice as yours but I just got this review in a newsletter for anyone who might be interested.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-...he-government/
    The Cheapest Garands – Part 3 Garands from the Government
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Not quite as nice as yours but I just got this review in a newsletter for anyone who might be interested.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-...he-government/
    The Cheapest Garands – Part 3 Garands from the Government
    I just finished reading that before i logged on. I get the news letter also. That's some cosmic coincidence shit right there

They had several nice rifles, mostly service grade but even the field grade looked nice. The guy that helped me said that some of their CMP specials were built on receivers that had never been assembled into a rifle, sometimes they just get a big box of receivers. Since mine was a late production serial number, chances are that it had never been assembled
    I'm going to shoot the match next year, should be plenty of time to get the receiver settled into the stock and smooth the barrel out.
    My eye doctor says he will build me a pair of glasses with the focal point closer to the bridge of my nose, we'll see how that works out.

He's my daughter-in laws father so i get get good deals on glasses, maybe even try contacts.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Congrats. The M1 Rifle is a classic weapon, a Rifleman's Rifle.