Thread: Nylon 66 failes to reset

Nylon 66 failes to reset

Pulled my dad's Nylon 66 out, removed the receiver cover, cleaned the bore. Cover back on, ran a hundred rounds through it. Lots of spent shells caught in the closing bolt, probably 20~25.

Used http://www.nylonrifles.com/Nylonpdf/66DIS.pdf to help with dis-reassemble. Took a while but everything seemed to go good. Took it out, one round in it, fired perfectly. Filled the magazine, first round perfect, second round the trigger wouldn't pull. Racked the bolt to clear the round and load a new one. Tried it again and same thing. First round fired fine, second round dead trigger, it won't cycle the bolt and hammer back to reset the hammer on the sear. Some of the rounds I cleared show a light firing pin strike.

I have tried it about thirty times now and it's the same thing every time. Have primarily used Winchester white box 36 grain, but have tried CCI mini-mags 40 grain as well.

Any ideas?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

My guess is you're having an issue around the disconnector. Take a look at the exploded view and the area around item #15. Look for any damaged or misaligned parts. Hope this helps!

Steve

P.S. - 79 IH Scout, welcome to The Guns Network! Hope to see more posts from you.
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 IH Scout View Post
    Pulled my dad's Nylon 66 out, removed the receiver cover, cleaned the bore. Cover back on, ran a hundred rounds through it. Lots of spent shells caught in the closing bolt, probably 20~25.

Used http://www.nylonrifles.com/Nylonpdf/66DIS.pdf to help with dis-reassemble. Took a while but everything seemed to go good. Took it out, one round in it, fired perfectly. Filled the magazine, first round perfect, second round the trigger wouldn't pull. Racked the bolt to clear the round and load a new one. Tried it again and same thing. First round fired fine, second round dead trigger, it won't cycle the bolt and hammer back to reset the hammer on the sear. Some of the rounds I cleared show a light firing pin strike.

I have tried it about thirty times now and it's the same thing every time. Have primarily used Winchester white box 36 grain, but have tried CCI mini-mags 40 grain as well.

Any ideas?

I've seen that happen on DRY FIRED .22 rifles. The firing pin indents the point of impact and peens metal out from each side. This causes the casing not to fully seat and the bolt to not fully close, resulting in a light primer strike and misfires.

Look at the breechface and see if there is a visible and "feel-able" ding from the firing pin and see if any metal was rolled out.

If so, CAREFULLY... VERRRRRYYY carefully use a small file and remove any raised metal from the damaged area AND NOT ONE ATOM MORE!

Do not use any power tools like a dremel... do it by hand - take your time. Take off too much metal and the gun is SCRAP.

Or, better, have a gunsmith do it for you if you're not comfortable with the job.

Good luck.

OH by the way welcome to Gunsnet!

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Thanks for the suggestions Gunreference1 and Krupski.
    I have looked over the sear, disconnector, and all springs as much as i can without disassembling again.
    The firing pin is in good order. If it hit any harder or cleaner, the gun would go full auto. Feeding one round at a time, it fires just fine. It just fails to recock itself when fired.
    I removed the receiver, held the extractor in place, and fired a few rounds through it tonight (CCI Velocitors 40 grain 1430 fps). Even with a high powered 40 grain, the hammer would not reset on the sear after I fired. When I rack the bolt though, I never have a problem with it cocking properly.

BTW
    Quite mechanicly inclined, but new to gunsmithing. If a dry fire did cause the firing pin to mar the breech face and you did take too much off, couldn't you just replace the breech block? Why would the gun be scrap? Are parts that hard to find for a Nylon 66? I know it has been out of production for over 20 years, but there were so many made...

For Nylon 66 parts try the link below.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4358

Steve

Numrich is out of the disconnector. Anyone know where else I can find one? I think mine is a bit bent and I don't mind throwing $40~50 bucks into fixing the gun.

Try the links below. They show the Nylon 66 disconnector available.

http://www.classicfirearmsandparts.c...2066&Type=Part
    http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-...unction=Search

Steve

Thanks for the help Steve. Ordering a new one today. Hopefully this fixes the issue.