Thread: Best Bang for the Buck?

Best Bang for the Buck?

I'll be a first time buyer of supression; which caliber would be the best value to start with? I own a G19, G21, AR-15 .223, AK47 7.62x39.

Smile

Welcome!

There are many different variables when it comes too suppression.

Make, model, caliber, elevation, temp, humidity and suppressor design.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

As for caliber in general, .22LR is the best
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet. So you want to get a suppressor, cool. I've got 2, they work well but in retrospect I would buy some other brand or model. They are both AAC brand, a very high reputation brand. What I don't like about them is the do not come apart for cleaning. I seriously advise anyone that want's to buy a suppressor to get a model that can be taken apart for cleaning. I have an SOT licensed buddy that has purchased and sold as well as made a few of his own. He says a .223 can (suppressor) works just fine on .22 LR, though they are a little big especially for a handgun. He also says a .30 cal. rifle suppressor works just fine on an AR-15 in .223 / 5.56 NATO chambering. A suppressed .22 LR handgun or rifle is da bomb for cheap to shoot and fun factor.

This is my Sig Mosquito with an AAC Pilot suppressor in .22 LR. This is an older one, (4 years) and does not come apart. AAC heard us collectively bitching and the Pilot NOW is built to come apart. I paid $350 for this one, they'll happily convert it for me for $350. is my take on that. They should offer it for less than $100 IMHO as it sucks having to soak a Can in solvents for hours to get the fowling loose and still you can't really get it all out. This Pilot also fits my threaded .22 LR AR-15 upper.

Smaller diameter bullets are easier to suppress, in handguns 9 mm is about as quiet as things get in centerfire ammo. (.22 LR is still the quietest). Hardest to suppress, .45 ACP as it's the biggest diameter bullet. AK barrel threads aren't always true to the bore axis, some have reported screwing on suppressors only to get a baffle strike because the supressor is not parallel to the bore because of the off axis threads on the barrel. AR-15 and the .223 is very good for being suppressed. It will sound like a standard .22 LR rifle round going off with suppression, same for .30-06 and .308 with a Can on them. I think the .300 Blackout / .300 Whisper by all that I read about them is da bomb for larger diameter AR platform suppression. A .30 call suppressor that would work with those could also be used on a .223 barreled upper.

Quick mounts vs. thread on mounting. Pros and cons here. Quick mounts are ... well quick. 3 or 4 half turns and it's locked on. On the down side the quick mount flash hider can run you from about $100 from AAC in teh form of their 3 prong Blackout hiders to a low of $83 for a Yankee Hill Machine flash hider quick mount. Threaded mounting, 10 or 12 rotations to get locked on. BTW, remove the crush washer on an AR barrel when using a screw on suppresor. Down side to screw on is also that you have to take off your flash hider or other "Thread Protector" device.

Awesome replies, thank you all. I will be keeping all of this in mind when purchasing one

AAC is a great company with awesome products.

Keep in mind there is no resale value with a used can. So you are buying it for life (basically). Buy the highest quality one you can afford.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

The AAC TiRant and the Silencerco Osprey are roughly equal for the quietest centerfire pistol cans currently on the market. I have both, in different calibers and highly recommend either one. For a budget can, YHM is probably the best bang for the buck. I have a YHM Cobra .45. It's heavier and not as quiet as the TiRant or Osprey, but not anywhere near as expensive. As mentioned above, buy the best you can afford.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.