Thread: 17 hmr or 22 mag

17 hmr or 22 mag

Thinking of picking up a lever gun. Always wanted one, just think they are awesome. Probably going to get a Henry but open to suggestions.
    I would primarily use it for target shooting but will use it on occasion for coyotes and skunks. What does everyone think? 17 hmr with super speed and flatter trajectory or the 22 magnum with a larger selection of rounds and more knock down?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Henry makes great lever guns. I have seen many people that spend time smoothing out the lever feel on other makers, pick up a Henry and be thrilled with the feel, me included.

If you think the 22 mag has more knock down power, you have never seen a 17HMR in action! Check the net, the 17HMR is an amazing varmint round.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well .22 WRM runs from about $9 to $15 per box of 50. 17 HMR runs from $12 to $16 / box of 50 rounds. Neither is what I'd call Target Shooting grade ammo if you want to not burn up a lot of ammo. .22 LR comes closer to Cheap and not Burning a lot of money to target shoot. Not sure a coyote can be humanely taken with .22 LR but probably a Skunk can. I've bagged Ferral Cats with .22 LR and they are about the size of a skunk.

I already have a Ruger 10/22 and SR22 pistol. 22 mag is less expensive than, and 17 is as expensive to shoot as my 9mm (Ruger P95). Cheaper than slugs in my 410. Skunks can easily be killed with a decent round 22lr ammo, but a higher powered round is preferred since there is less chance of them spraying. And yes, I have killed lots of skunks. I average 2 a month due to the 120 acres of hay ground around the house.
    I have 2 12 gauge shot guns (Remington sportsman 48 and Savage double barrel), H & R single shot 410, and the aforementioned Rugers. Looking for a bigger rifle than my 22lr and a novelty gun rolled into one. I'm not looking for a bolt action or semi auto 223.
    Last edited by 79 IH Scout; 10-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.