Thread: Added a Black Shadow to the collection this weekend

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Wink Added a Black Shadow to the collection this weekend

Actually found this at a local pawn shop. Something that was pretty rare back in Texas due to the rediculous prices and lack of interesting guns in stock. But this shop has several guns that I take a fancy to - this is just one of them... and at $399, it was a very good deal. These are considered collectible Winchesters - not many made. They typically trade for $650 on the auction boards.

Winchester Model 94AE Black Shadow in 44 Remington Magnum.

It holds 7 rounds in the abreviated tube but I think is supposed to hold 6. Barrel is 20". The sling swivel in front is part of the magazine end-cap - very nice. The thing feels really good when your holding it sighting the gun - feels much better than it looks.

So, where as I had gotten away from looking in pawn shops back in Texas, I'll probably start stopping and looking again here in Miss.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

You can sometimes do OK in small Town Pawn Shops in Texas, but most in the state are over priced on guns and/or picked over... I have done far better out of state.

I wonder why that is? I certainly saw zero to no deals in Texas pawns...

Nice snag Jac.
    I've never seen one of those before.
    Sweet!!!!
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Thanks Slam - hopefully she'll shoot as good as she looks or.... better

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Thanks Slam - hopefully she'll shoot as good as she looks or.... better
    Let us know how she does.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Great looking gun. I haven't seen one of those before, but I love Winchester lever guns and that one is beautiful.

Thanks!

Range Report:

Fired three, three round salvos at 50 yards. Sat behind my tractor's grater blade and used it as a rest. I was not as rock steady as shooting off of a set of bags from a bench, but it was good enough to give me an idea of sighting and accuracy with the chosen load.
    Here's the target:

First three went to the lower left. Adjusted sights up one click and drifted the rear sight to the right - shot the second three which landed too far right but about good for elevation. Then drifted the rear sight back left towards my witness mark and shot the last three which landed spot on - good enough considering the shooter's eyes and rest... The center white circle is 1" in circumfrence BTW.
    Here's the load that I was shooting:

That's a 310 grain cast boolit from a Lee mold - gas check. Used Lee Liq Alox lube - wheel weights with a little tin and sized .431".
    No leading in the bore at all - looks clean accept for a bit of powder fouling.

I'm pretty happy with this. There's plenty of "up" adjustment left in the rear sight as it's the typical Winchester version with the screw adjustable blade on the click adjustable ramp. In spite of my 51 year old eyes, the sights looked fine. I was thinking of puting a Skinner sight on this one but I'll probably leave it as-is given this experience...

I'll be testing it at 100 and longer ranges with other loads after hunting season. For now, I know it's good to go for most of the hunting on my land if I choose to use it this year

Not bad groupings. I have a '94 AE Trapper in .44 Mag. When I first sighted it in, it was throwing bullets all over the place. No pattern at all. I was shooting 240 gr. JHP. A friend told me to try a lighter bullet and I went to the 180 gr. (I think it was 180...too lazy to look it up right now...). The carbine settled down and printed small groups at 50 yds. I got it in the black, consistently, and quit there.

You might be able to tighten them up a little more with different weights, but those really aren't that bad at all. It looks like when you find the right weight bullet, or get a steadier rest, it'll put the bullets touching.

Let us know what she does at 100 yds.

Thanks, I will. I will say that I did feel that I pulled some shots - but I think low - anyhoo, there seemed to be a pattern emerging - first shot away and two touching...

I'm just glad to see it making decent groups with these heavy boolit loads.

Add me to the list who's never seen one. That's awesome looking.
    Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Thanks - that's one of the reasons that I decided to pop for this. Winchester didn't make all that many of them. The 444 Marlin chambered ones are also very desirable but to me, the 44 Mag is all that is needed for hunting and it holds 7 rounds in the tube. I shot a hog a few years back with a Marlin 94 in 44 Mag with this load and it blew completely through doing massive damage to the heart/lung area. Sold that one in a moment of weakness but this Winchester handles the long-nosed boolits much better than the Marlins or Rossi's due to the longer action. So I can shoot 250 grain Keith boolits out of this too.

As I indicated, I'm pleased with the decent performance with this 310 grain boolit - and the nice, cookie-cutter holes indicate that the boolits are fully stabalized which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Actually found this at a local pawn shop. Something that was pretty rare back in Texas due to the rediculous prices and lack of interesting guns in stock. But this shop has several guns that I take a fancy to - this is just one of them... and at $399, it was a very good deal. These are considered collectible Winchesters - not many made. They typically trade for $650 on the auction boards.

Winchester Model 94AE Black Shadow in 44 Remington Magnum.

It holds 7 rounds in the abreviated tube but I think is supposed to hold 6. Barrel is 20". The sling swivel in front is part of the magazine end-cap - very nice. The thing feels really good when your holding it sighting the gun - feels much better than it looks.

So, where as I had gotten away from looking in pawn shops back in Texas, I'll probably start stopping and looking again here in Miss.
    Damn hard to beat the feel of a good levergun, and that there is a damn fine one.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Thanks. I've decided that once gun season opens, this baby goes huntin.

Finally managed to dig out one of my "modified" Winchesters. It's the Trapper AE version in .44 Mag. (I have a .30-30 Trapper that's its twin, but still original.) Of course, it's not a Black Shadow, more like a "Black Smudge," but it shoots great now that I have the right bullet weight. I swapped out the wood stock for the black, synthetic stock and added a scope, light, and laser. My intent was to use it as a "yard gun" for protecting the perimeter from the Zombie hordes when they arise.

I'm sure Printerman would be proud.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    o.s.o.k stop making us look like a bunch of red necks down here, (BULLET) LOL

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    relly nice gun by the way brother,