Thread: Hello from Colorado

Hello from Colorado

Just posting to say Hi to all hear. I just signed up, hoping to learn something about AKs. I'd like to acquire one, but know next to nothing about them. Anyone have any advice to an AK newbie that doesn't want to spend a ton of money?
    Thanks

Others will be along later, but let me be the first to say "Welcome!" You came to a good spot for AK knowledge. If you are looking for bottom barrel AK that will still perform reliably, then the WASR 10 is not a bad choice AT ALL. Obviously the better ones (Saiga, Vepr) will run you more money but will run a lot better. I bought a CAI Polish underfolder and love it. Paid about $530. Plan on getting it personalized later when I have the cash, but right now I can put 4 out of 5 rounds in a 10" circle at 100 yards. Can't beat that. Be careful, tho, they are very addictive. Best of luck and again welcome.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

My suggestion would be check the various AK forums here. Most have a sticky that details the various models made by each country, or now since we have a sporting purpose clause in the second amendment per ATF, parts from different countries built on US receivers with various US made parts to "keep them legal".

These days with all the people getting into the AK hobby, and the cost of ammo, shooting any firearm isn't as affordable as it used to be. There are still a few AK variants in the $500 to $600 range, every now and then you can luck into one below $500, but for the most part, expect $600 for a good one.

WASR-10s in all the varieties can run from a perfectly good AKM variant to something that is a problem and needs to be shipped back to the importer for repair or replacement. Yugo versions are nice as they are built on heavier receivers. FEG receiver AMD-65 are very nice, and usually done correctly, but some people do not like the folder because of their inability to weld their cheek to it. I personally like the AMD-65 as I have learned a long time ago how to shoot a rifle without welding my cheek to it!

Every now and then you can run into a Chinese MAK-90, which were unfortunately banned almost 20 years ago, but have the nicest factory trigger feel of any imported AK variant. Unfortunately they were saddled with a horrible Bush-hole stock, but luckily that is fixable.

Don't be afraid to ask questions before buying. There are no stupid questions, stupid answers sometimes, but not questions if you truly want to learn something. And honestly I would rather answer your question before you waste your money on an over priced piece of junk than have to answer your question about how to repair a rifle you should not have purchased.