Thread: Guide rod and spring on Colt 1991A1

Guide rod and spring on Colt 1991A1

I have been wanting to change the guide rod and spring on the Colt but not sure which way to go.
    I thought of replacing the short guide rod with a full length but have read a lot of pros and cons and now may just keep the stock rod
    but want to know if I can replace the 2 spring set up and replace with a single spring without issues.

Read were I might not be able to use the single spring without the full length guide rod.
    This is the compact model and thinking on the 24lb spring instead of the 22lb.
    Thoughts?

Also if I went with the Wilson combat rod,spring and reverse plug would I have to replace the barrel bushing .
    Last edited by shotdown61; 10-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My thoughts are ..... does it work relaibly as it currently is set up? If the answer is yes it functions and is reliable, then my answer is this. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. 24 Lb spring will blot up more recoil energy, could cause cycle issues or weak ejection unless you're running some +P stuff.

I see Wolff makes the single spring for it.Might order the 22 and 24lb and see how it does.The reason I want to go with the single spring is I found out that Colt does not make them anymore.
    I feel that the spring does need to be replace since I have noticed some failure to feed on first round.

I replaced a full length guide rod with a give style just to simplify takedown. There is no benefit other than cool factor to the flgr

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I replaced a full length guide rod with a give style just to simplify takedown. There is no benefit other than cool factor to the flgr
    I agree,I like the idea that I can disassemble it with no tools.
    I went ahead and ordered the single springs from Wolff in 22 and 24lb.