Thread: Sighting in question

Sighting in question

When sighting in your PolyTech AK, say for 100 yards, what position do you have the rear site in? Thanks, JR

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I set mine on the "1" at that range. Not sure if the sight is calibrated in yards or meters, but since these are mostly commercial rifles for the US market my guess is yards.

Thanks, that is what I thought would be the logical case...BUT, the Russian AKM manual states " The range firing is 100 meters, with the rear sight set at 3." I don't understand their logic on that point.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have heard people set their range adjustment at some intermediate setting and call it a "battlefield setting". The idea is that at any reasonable battle distance, using that setting will still allow you to hit the person you are aiming at. Remember, the AK/AKM is a rifle designed with a purpose, and target shooting isn't it's purpose, so while a Weatherby, Remington, or Savage (insert your favorite target shooter) might shoot a one inch group or less at 100 yards, the Kalashnikov was designed to shoot at worst an 8 inch group at 150 yards, which when you consider the intended target, will still get the job done. Would guess that is why they recommend setting the rifle at the 3 mark. An inch high or low would not make much of a difference to the intended target regardless as to their range.

Range day! Hobe sound AK had kindly pointed me to the Russian manual and the Tapco sight tool. After reading the manual thrice and some sight adjustment it was time. The lateral sight movement wasn't happening so I soaked the sight overnight with PB Blaster. The gun had been shooting high and right. I adjisted the vertical sight but the lateral still showed no willing ness to move. The 50 yd target confimed it was still shooting to the right. After applying what I thought was alot of pressure the site finally broke free. Moved to 100 yards (with rear sight set at 2) and with a couple more minor adjustments I shot a couple 8" grooups.

It was a pretty good day for a novice. Still need more range time.

Good info Mack, thanks. JR

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

Doh! That means I sighted in all my aks wrong I set the elevation at the lowest setting and sighted it in at 25 meters

Greetings,

My Norinco rear sight has a "D" designation and when the elevation detent (my words) is placed there, it causes the sight to be higher. Then as the 100 meters (?) is selected the detent is now lower but on the slope upward. (as I expect all or many other AKs have). So I am curious what the "D" selection accomplishes. Is that some type of 'battle sight' adjustment?

Thanks for any input.

Lincoln