Thread: Red dot help and bipod?

Red dot help and bipod?

Hi guys, i recently purchased a mak90 and it came with a UTG 5th gen dust cover w weaver rail. I heard the side rail is the most stable as far asthe red dot keeping its accuracy but my mak90 doesnt have that slot so the dust cover is an option. If i add a red dot and sight it correctly then take the dust cover off to clean the ak will i be forced to re sight the red dot again after i put the dust cover back on?

Also if you take the side rail off and on will you need to resight the red dot over again as well?

What bothers me is that i do want the option of field stripping it but i dont want to resight it every time i do this.

Oh do you guys think a bipod is worth attaching to the ak? I might add a 75 rd drum and this could be beneficial but im no expert.

This is my first ak and i instantly fell in love.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardnorton View Post
    Hi guys, i recently purchased a mak90 and it came with a UTG 5th gen dust cover w weaver rail. I heard the side rail is the most stable as far asthe red dot keeping its accuracy but my mak90 doesnt have that slot so the dust cover is an option. If i add a red dot and sight it correctly then take the dust cover off to clean the ak will i be forced to re sight the red dot again after i put the dust cover back on?

Also if you take the side rail off and on will you need to resight the red dot over again as well?

What bothers me is that i do want the option of field stripping it but i dont want to resight it every time i do this.

Oh do you guys think a bipod is worth attaching to the ak? I might add a 75 rd drum and this could be beneficial but im no expert.

This is my first ak and i instantly fell in love.
    1st, edwardnorton.

From my experiences with dust cover mounted scope mounts have been extremely poor at best. No one that I am aware of have been able to make these dust cover stable enough to insure constant zero. Plus, removing the cover to clean or work on the internals, kills zero of the scope.

Side mounts are preferred and installed by AK factories and builders. They allow the top cover to be removed without losing zero and a large majority allow you remove and replace the mount without loss of zero. The 'side rail' can be purchased and installed by you or a smith. There is one other option that seems to work for most. It's a top rail mount that replaces the rear sight leaf and attaches to the stock tang.

I prefer the low profile side mount since you don't have to raise your head off the stock (loss of cheek weld) to view through the scope/red dot.

My advice is to lose the top cover mount.

As far as bipods go, I never used one on an AK. Bipods mounted on barrels are a bad idea as far as accuracy goes. Not good.
    Others may chime in on this.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.

Lose the dust cover and go with this if you want a rail over the receiver.

http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html

I have one on a mak and it does maintain it's zero when you open and close it. This is the only "good" option i know of for a chicom rifle. Sooner or later you'll discover the Krebs rail so make note of this. The Krebs rails are awesome but they will NOT fit a chinese rifle. The rear tang is a different length and will not mount up at all.

Personally i do not like the one shown in slamfires post. I've heard those are partially plastic but never had one in my hands to confirm it.

Plastic + rails = badbadbad

Side rails are good and maintain their zero, but the problem is the rifle you have was never made with one. If you try to install one yourself and you don't know exactly what you're doing you WILL mess it up and then you have holes drilled in your receiver in the wrong spots. If the smith you hire does'nt know exactly what he's doing then same result. Either way you end up with a rifle that has part of it's value wrecked if everything does'nt go exactly as intended.

Not worth the risk IMO with a collectable rifle that you can no longer have imported. My mak had holes drilled for a side mount that were crooked when i bought it years ago and i had nothing but trouble because of it until i finally had the holes welded up. The TWS rail is a much better option because it does not require any permanent modification to the rifle.

I have one i can quick attach/detach to the front lower handguard as an option for things like bench shooting. A permanent mount bipod seems a wee bit overkill though on a rifle that short and light. To me the bipod is a convenience thing on a bench since any AK is not going to be enough of a tack driver to justify holding the rifle that steady all the time.

75 round drums are allways good wholesome family fun too.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Thanks guys, I dont want to modify my mak90 since I do wish to preserve its original form. I bumped into this website http://scoutscopes.com/ and the mount they offer for an ak seems good, you think this would work effectively as well?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks interesting. I'm wondering if the set screws are going to leave a mark or do they just press some sort of plate against the rear sight / trunion area.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    Lose the dust cover and go with this if you want a rail over the receiver.
    I have one on a mak and it does maintain it's zero when you open and close it. This is the only "good" option i know of for a chicom rifle.
    I just got this in a newsletter seems like a good place to put it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how-...lux-cmr-ak762/
    How to Scope Your AK-47 – Texas Weapons Systems & Hi-Lux CMR-AK762

Might not be the same scope the OP wants but a good review of the mount
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thanks guys, I dont want to modify my mak90 since I do wish to preserve its original form. I bumped into this website http://scoutscopes.com/ and the mount they offer for an ak seems good, you think this would work effectively as well?
    I've used one of those for a while now. I've had zero issues.