Thread: Armor plates?

Armor plates?

I recently acquired a Rhodesian Recon vest to replace my old tac vest, (It actually puts the mag pouches where I can reach them!) Thing is, its also a plate carrier. Now I need ... for various definitions of need... an armor plate to put in it.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't exactly have money to burn right now, but I have to look into it.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

You could put in soft inserts as well. They will fill out the vest the way it was meant to be, but with less weight and cost.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

bulletproofme.com
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Well, I think I want a steel plate with a spall guard. Cheap, abuse tolerant, and multi hit. The problem is finding the spall guard, everything I can find points towards DIY solutions.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Well, I think I want a steel plate with a spall guard. Cheap, abuse tolerant, and multi hit. The problem is finding the spall guard, everything I can find points towards DIY solutions.
    You trying to stop handgun rounds or rifle rounds? BTW most of the ceramic plates now have fiber content that allows for multiple hits and still working.

I'm aiming to stop common rifle rounds. I know that there are multi-hit ceramic plates, but they are neither cheap, nor abuse tolerant.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Looks like some good plates and really not all that expensive IMO.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Black Friday sale at AR500Armor.com!

Guess its a good thing I waited, I'll take that %25 off! Ordered one.

Are the curved plates worth the difference? I mean for most of us it's not like we would be wearing the plates too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Are the curved plates worth the difference? I mean for most of us it's not like we would be wearing the plates too often.
    Never worn any hard plates, but i can imagine they are probably a bit more comforatable vs. dead flat plates. Wow, 25% off, now that makes me want to get a carrier and plates!
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-28-2012 at 06:49 AM.

It makes no sense to me for it to be easier for citizens to purchase hard armor than soft armor. I think its because providers of gear to police have agreements with them to only sell to LEO.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    It has to be worth the $20 difference in price on the website listed in this thread.

Just remember these are Steel Plates, not ceramic and as such they will not absorb the bullet, they will shatter it or deflect it if they hit at a shallow angle. There will be bullet splatter that I hope is abosrbed by the nylon carrier. Granted, it couldn't be worse than a bullet in your lungs or liver but its gonna hurt if your arms or legs or chin get fragments of copper and lead splashing into them.

Yeah, bullet fragments suck. AR15.com has a huge thread from people trying to figure out DIY spall guards here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/134...IC_HEAVY_.html

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Yeah, bullet fragments suck. AR15.com has a huge thread from people trying to figure out DIY spall guards here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/134...IC_HEAVY_.html
    Here is another link to a group buy page for coated ar500 armor. I was directed to it from your link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_541/2...ER_OPTION.html

cover your plates in rhino liner.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    cover your plates in rhino liner.
    And with the group buy he is offering, the price for the already coated plates seems very reasonable to me.