Thread: Gonna try my luck again.

Gonna try my luck again.

Headed out to the woods. The whole fam damily was here last week. Had a great time with everyone. Mom and Pop left this moring. Did some chores. Now headed out to camp. Wish me luck! Can take doe or buck. Had no meat last year for the freezer (first time in about 10 years.) First deer (or two) that I see is going to hit the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Headed out to the woods. The whole fam damily was here last week. Had a great time with everyone. Mom and Pop left this moring. Did some chores. Now headed out to camp. Wish me luck! Can take doe or buck. Had no meat last year for the freezer (first time in about 10 years.) First deer (or two) that I see is going to hit the ground!

Good luck!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Run, Bambi's mother, Run!!!
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Knock em dead Paul!

Good luck brother, shoot em in the face

Shoot straight!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Got to camp monda after noon. Grabbed my rifle and orange and headed up to the nearest stand. About a hundred yards behind the cabin. I got winded on the way up. Quiet afternoon. Right about dark a flock of turkies roosted in the poplar trees around me. Really couldn't take a safe shot with the .308.

The coyotes were out Monday night. Heard them pretty much all night. Tuesday I get up early head to the middle stand. Just before light. I turn the corner and see two deer right at my trail head. They go running off. I sat in the woods all day and didn't see nothing but tree rats!

I got up extra early this moring to go to the far/front stand. It is about a mile walk. I turn up the hollow. So, I have been taking that trip at least a hundred times. I know where to go once I go up the hollow. 60 yards in. See the landmark tree. Start waking another 60 yards in the one o'clock direction. Ok, where is the tree stand? No bother, lots of trees had fallen, so, maybe I was a little off.

Starts to get light. I see something on the ground about 10 yards off. It is one of the pvc pipe feeders that I used to use, but left in my woods. It is on the ground. 5 minutes pass, and I notice that I am about 15 yards from where my tree stand SHOULD be. Some fuckers made off with it. I knew that I was in the right place. Thing about that is the stand is nothing fancy. A ladder with a platform on top of it. Easily 11 years old as well.

Oh well. I was sitting on a downed tree. About 8:30 I see movement to my right. Deer. So I shoulder up, brace the gun. Out of the three does I put the cross hairs on the biggest one. Wait till she is broadside and in full view. 40 yards away. Pull the trigger and she runs. Where I don't know because I can't see her. Butg I knew that I had a great shot on her. So another doe (small one) runs straight for me. I think. Shoot thhat one too? (not really legal) so I let her run buy me. I wait about 15 minutes. Go to where I had shot the doe. Find hair, blood, bone fragments. Start looking uphill, down hill, sideways. Never found a blood trail. I looked for a good hour and a half. Nothing. Sad part is that she ran onto a neighboors property and I didn't feel comfortable running around his land looking for the deer. So, after about an hour and a half. I slowly went back to camp.

Sucks. I know that I had a great shot on the deer. I have had this happen before where I shoot a deer, find blood at the sight. Then nothing else. But in the past by searching have found the deer. Without the stand I was blind after the shot. I couldn't see where she went running.

I have the rest of the week off. But got stuff to do around the house. Going to take my Son on Saturday. Took next week off as well. Doe only season. Hope that at least he gets a deer.

Great time in the woods. Beats work any day. Oh and I HATE a theif!!!

Right where I found the blood. I look downhill and see the other pvc feeder that I had made. It was close to the neighboors house. I suspect that he was the one that took my stand. Can I prove it? No. I don't even know the guy.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sorry to hear of the theft and not being able to retreive the doe.

If there is any justice, the thief will go to use your "old" equipment and it will fail on him and put him back on the ground.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”