Thread: Pin on muzzle brake for SAR1..

Pin on muzzle brake for SAR1..

I'm in the market for one of these. any suggestions?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Be careful which brake you get because the SAR-1 has a narrower barrel than many AKs, and a pin on for an SKS or Norinco will have too large a diameter ID. I have used one on an SAR-1 that was designed for a MAK-90, but I had to shim around the barrel to get the brake tight. I then checked the alignment and was glad I did as the end of the brake did not line up with the bore. I used a bore diameter wooden dowel and redrilled the end of the brake until there was enough clearance to assure me that a round leaving the SAR-1 would not strike the end of the brake.

That brake has been on the rifle ever since, having gone through over 13K rounds and amazingly not affecting the accuracy of the rifle.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Threading it yourself is easy and cheap, especially if you can find someone who already owns the tools and will lend them to you. EASY job.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Blkandrust View Post
    I'm in the market for one of these. any suggestions?
    Why do you want a pin-on? Does your SAR-1 have a "bare" muzzle" (no threads or anything welded to it)?

If so, measure the diameter of the muzzle. If it's around 0.551 inches diameter, you should THREAD it 14x1 LH and then install any REAL muzzle device you wish.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Thats correct,it has a bare muzzle.