Thread: Bulgarian SA 93 or Hungarian SA 85

Bulgarian SA 93 or Hungarian SA 85

Hi guys, I am a new member here, need some advise which AK to buy Bulgarian milled receiver SA93 for $900 or Hungarian SA85 for $800. They both are like new condition. Thing is I am in CA, so I have to make both rifle CA legal( instal stupid bulletin button, 10 round mag. ect). Can't decide which one to pick. Will appreciate any advise. Thanks

Bulgarian milled receiver SA93 is vastly superior to the SA-85.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

As abpt1 said, the SA93 is much more desirable than the SA-85. Being a milled receiver, it is worth the extra dollars.

The only way an SA-85M would be a better buy is it was imported by Kassnar, indicating it to be a pre-bush1-ban rifle. Those are highly sought after.

Sorry to see you are in commiefornia, a state that doesn't believe in the constitution as being over all states.

The both rifles are post-1989, SA-85 was imported by KBI

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Both are fine weapons, I've owned the SLR95 Bulgarian and the SA-85M weapons. The SA-85 is a sheet metal receiver and has a slimmer AKM type barrel so the weapon weighs less. You can't go wrong with either one really.

I have both and the SA85 has a better finish and the wood is awesome. It is a stamped reciever though and the milled is supposedly more desirable. If you go Bulgarian milled, I would consider spending a little extra and get a no ban SLR 101. If you don't want to spend that much, I would get the SA85 and deban it. You really can't go wrong with either.

Don't get it wrong the SA-85 is a fine rifle, I actually own one. but milled is really a better quality hands down...

thanks guys for reply, I probably get SA93. Don't have a enough fund for both.