Thread: Obese woman told she was "too fat to fly" home, dies of kidney failure

Thumbs down Obese woman told she was "too fat to fly" home, dies of kidney failure

(snip)
    Mrs Soltesz needed to return to New York from her holiday home in Hungary to resume medical treatment.

She suffered from kidney disease and diabetes and reportedly "did not trust" Hungarian doctors.

But the Dutch airline KLM was unable to get her on board a flight on which she had booked two seats to accommodate her.

She was then told to drive to Prague in the Czech Republic where she would be given seats on a larger Delta Airlines flight.

But, according to Mr Ronai, she was unable to be belted into that plane and "the captain came out of the cockpit and made her get off".

Mrs Soltesz died of kidney failure before an alternative flight could be found.
    (snip)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...PublicRSS20-sa

I don't get it. They allowed her to board and fly to Europe no problem, but somehow couldn't allow her to fly back?

Sure, she weighs 425-pounds which is pretty big, but not THAT big. A single economy/coach seat can fit a 215-lb. person, so two seats should be enough to accommodate her.

Hell, at least she was considerate enough to book two seats. I've seen some real fat fuckers squeeze into one seat, and "ooze over" into adjacent seats.

Sounds like her husband has one hell of a lawsuit on his hands. Maybe that's what it will take for airlines to add more bigger seats instead of sandwiching everyone in like sardines in the first place.
    Last edited by LAGC; 11-27-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Roadhouse Groupee

Regulations probably required everyone to be strapped in on takeoff . . . not like a seatbelt is gonna do much good in the case of a plane wreck but rules are rules

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Sounds like her husband has one hell of a lawsuit on his hands. Maybe that's what it will take for airlines to add more bigger seats instead of sandwiching everyone in like sardines in the first place.
    Delusional as allways i see. At least you're consistent.

They'll write it off as cost of doing business.
    That's what heavily government subsidized business does.

They're not even going to give a shit about the bad press in the medium/long term.
    Why would they when they've been deemed too big to fail as an industry?
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

How often does a con fly?

If she isn't close to six feet she will not fit in a first class seat let alone a coach seat. She wouldn't have been allowed on the plane except she left from the USA...

Her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    How often does a con fly?
    I've flown a couple times in the past 3 years. To Washington D.C. to visit my aunt/uncle and to Ohio to see a friend. Never had any problems, despite hearing all the bitching and moaning about TSA over the last 10 years... I didn't find the full-body scanners that invasive. Maybe if I traveled more often, I'd be worried about radiation exposure or whatever...

If she isn't close to six feet she will not fit in a first class seat let alone a coach seat. She wouldn't have been allowed on the plane except she left from the USA...

Her fault.
    I agree, she probably shouldn't have been traveling in the first place, given her condition. I just don't get how if they OK'd her to go in the first place, they can deny her coming back. That just seems odd and unnecessary.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I've flown a couple times in the past 3 years. To Washington D.C. to visit my aunt/uncle and to Ohio to see a friend. Never had any problems, despite hearing all the bitching and moaning about TSA over the last 10 years... I didn't find the full-body scanners that invasive. Maybe if I traveled more often, I'd be worried about radiation exposure or whatever...

I agree, she probably shouldn't have been traveling in the first place, given her condition. I just don't get how if they OK'd her to go in the first place, they can deny her coming back. That just seems odd and unnecessary.
    I would think that airlines have to comply with the regulations of every country they fly into. Airlines don't make up all their own regulations. Let's take Saudi Arabia, (and i may be wrong on this), but i don't believe any airline that flies into Saudi Arabia is allowed to have any Jews onboard. That's not airline regulations, that is SA law.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I heard something that none of you has posted about this yet. She started out at 425, stayed 1 month in Europe and when she attempted to come home topped the scales at over 520 lbs! If you read other sources some will mention due to her illness she gained water weight, yeah about 100 lbs. of water. No wonder they couldn't get an extension belt big enough to go around her. She must of been a sphere by then. AS some have said, she shouldn't of been traveling in the first place if her health was that bad off.

I didn't find the full-body scanners that invasive.
    Somewhere, right now, some 300 lb. TSA goober is rubbing one out to pics of LAGC's tallywacker. It's for the children.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I heard something that none of you has posted about this yet. She started out at 425, stayed 1 month in Europe and when she attempted to come home topped the scales at over 520 lbs! If you read other sources some will mention due to her illness she gained water weight, yeah about 100 lbs. of water. No wonder they couldn't get an extension belt big enough to go around her. She must of been a sphere by then. AS some have said, she shouldn't of been traveling in the first place if her health was that bad off.
    Also, she refused to seek medical attention in Hungary. I can understand her qualms given she lived there under commie rule, but even if the country was still commie, to refuse whatever medical help might be available (and Hungary is far advanced from its commie days, in all respects) puts this pretty squarely on her shoulders as far as dying in another country. Then, they had her booked on another flight from Germany, where they couldn't move her from her wheelchair to the three seats they had assigned for her. So, why was she unable to seek medical attention in Frankfurt, Germany, where the commies never ruled?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

I suppose they could have strapped her to a pallet and put her on a cargo flight.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

I have zero sympathy for someone that eats themselves to obesity. It doesn't happen in a week or a month. It takes years. Good she is dead. I hope it sends out a message to all the other irresponsible people in the world that if you lose self control, you pay the price.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Sure, she weighs 425-pounds which is pretty big, but not THAT big.
    Unless she was about 8 feet tall, a 425-pound woman is pretty damn big! That's a quarter-ton!

This isn't the woman in the article, but picture her being wedged onto a European commercial airliner!

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I suppose they could have strapped her to a pallet and put her on a cargo flight.
    +1. I've heard of obese folks being taken to the hospital on roll-back tow trucks before.
    Last edited by skorpion; 11-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

honestly, she wouldn't fit through the passenger door.

Inasmuch as increasing seating space means fewer people on the plane, I guess you favor making flying unaffordable for the average person. How do you think huge/fat people are going to make out in the tiny plastic cars Obama wants us all to drive? Should there be CAFE exceptions for cars driven by fat people?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I have zero sympathy for someone that eats themselves to obesity. It doesn't happen in a week or a month. It takes years. Good she is dead. I hope it sends out a message to all the other irresponsible people in the world that if you lose self control, you pay the price.
    I, too, have no sympathy for fat people who eat themselves into unhealthy conditions, then complain that they need special consideration.

When I see fat people riding on those little electric "fat carts" in department/grocery stores, it's all I can do to not walk up behind them and unhook the battery. If they walked more, they wouldn't be so damned fat.

Most fat people are fat because they keep opening their mouths whenever food is around.

Even with medical problems that lead to obesity, I doubt many Ethiopians have problems getting seats on a plane.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I have zero sympathy.

Someone who is that morbidly obese is solely responsible for whatever heath-related issues befall them. This woman was basically commiting slow-motion suicide.

That woman in that PIC should have never been allowed on an airplane. She couldnt get up and fit in the bathroom, and if they had a ground emergency wouldnt have been able to get off the plane and probably would have got other people killed.

I would have turned her away too.

[QUOTE=skorpion;264333]

Seriously, look at that camel toe.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    [QUOTE=NAPOTS;265122]
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post

Seriously, look at that camel toe.
    oh my god!!!!! that was not right! not right at all!!!!!! napots you are one sick puppy,lol