Thread: Does anyone have any home remedies for dry, cut, infected, blistered hands?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Does anyone have any home remedies for dry, cut, infected, blistered hands?

I am tempted to go so sick bay tomorrow, been a physically demanding week so far (day two) and my hands have been cut, burned, pierced with rusty cable a number of times and now I have a few infected spots oozing and by golly doesn't feel too good. I am looking for an idea of something I can put on them before I hit my rack that might be a miracle cure.

Any old time remedies? I live close to a 24 hour supermarket. Willing to go out for supplies...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

You may have a fungus that is close to the kind which affects nails. Start treating them with Lamisil or Walmart equivilent. Lots of guys get it lately.

If you've got open oozing sores a doctor is your best bet.

Absent of doctors, Tea Tree oil helps greatly with infection but makes dryness worse. You might have to Tea Tree the wounds, but use corn huskers or a medicated moisturiser cream for the dry spots.

Hope you feel better, mang!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to pop over to the store and take a look.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Yeah cuts are one thing, but if it's a constant issue, I'd bet money you need Lamisil. Get the cuts healed up and start with the antifungal. BTW, lotrimin and tinactin are weak and wont work.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    A good ol peroxide bath should help with the oozing infection part. keep dropping it on until it mostly stops bubbling or submerge your hands in a bowl/tray/whatever of it if there are lots of spots over a large area.

A cotton/gauze ball completely saturated in bentadyne held on it for a while can do wonders too.

Afterwards apply gobs of neosporin to keep the wounds soft and wet and keep them covered tightly until the infection starts to back off.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post

Absent of doctors, Tea Tree oil helps greatly with infection but makes dryness worse. You might have to Tea Tree the wounds, but use corn huskers or a medicated moisturiser cream for the dry spots.

+1 0n tea tree oil for quicker healing and corn huskers for dryness. Used to work in a freezer and corn huskers WILL re-hydrate. Peroxide is good to start with, then the oil after. If you need something oily to hold the moisture in in spots use A&D oil or Bag Balm.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post

This is exactly what I would have recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I am tempted to go so sick bay tomorrow, been a physically demanding week so far (day two) and my hands have been cut, burned, pierced with rusty cable a number of times and now I have a few infected spots oozing and by golly doesn't feel too good. I am looking for an idea of something I can put on them before I hit my rack that might be a miracle cure.

Any old time remedies? I live close to a 24 hour supermarket. Willing to go out for supplies...
    Here is an old Southern prison remedy...you won't like it but it works; "piss on your hands and don't wash it off." It works, don't know why...and don't try to explain it to folks around you...just say "What?"

In the alternative you can also wash them in Hydrogen Peroxide and then soak them in Epson Salts in hot water (very hot water)...both cheap remedies that don't cary the social stigma of pissing on your hands...which is even cheaper!

Diesel 88888888

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

It's because piss from a healthy person is sterile. Diseased person, diseased piss. Healthy person it's sterile but it's still piss. Germans love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    It's because piss from a healthy person is sterile. Diseased person, diseased piss. Healthy person it's sterile but it's still piss. Germans love it.
    It's an old 'chain gang' remedy!

Diesel 88888888

lol@germans love it

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    lol@germans love it

i think they have game shows built around that.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post

It sounds like you need a pair of gloves my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    It sounds like you need a pair of gloves my friend.
    +1000