Thread: NFA Trust in the works.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

NFA Trust in the works.

I am super excited!!!! I have a can picked out. I want the Tigershark from Shark Suppressors. It will be going on my Savage 110BA. The gun is super loud with the muzzle brake.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Sweet!
    Pricy little sucker!
    видеодон

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sounds nice.

Yes they are. I will only have to do it once. If I had to spend $300 a month like payments, to have one I wouldn't have done it. $300 for a one time fee. I couldn't pass it up. I had a reputable Dallas attorney write it up.

Well I sent my form 4 off today for a Liberty Freedom Mag suppressor. My Savage 110ba will be a pleasure to shoot when I get it quietened down a bit.

Wow $300 to have a lawyer write it up for you is a helluva deal!

I am gonna go the trust route also (no choice due to where I live).

I just need a day off first, and a day off where I have nothing to do, second.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Why do you have to have a lawyer write up your trust ... does it have to be registered with the state or something?

I bought a software package and did my own, had it notarized and it cost me about $40 ... the first 5 NFA items went right through, then when they hired the "helpers" last year, they didn't like the name of the trust, and most recently they didn't like that there were no beneficiaries listed in the trust in the event I die ... both times they asked me to modify it ... It kind of irked me because it had never been a problem before but I didn't argue with them, just made the changes and sent them the updated pages.

When I sent in the pages with the changes they requested my stamps showed up within a couple weeks.

When I add an item, I just add it to the property of the trust, reprint and have it re-noterized and send it with my form ... Currently I have a form 1 in to SBR a SiG-553 pistol and a form 4 for my first suppressor ... I'll see if they want anything else changed.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 02-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Not here in MI. I am just paranoid.

After I install WillMaker and fill one out, I still will be having a lawyer look over it....there is just way too much money involved to miss some stupid detail, and 5 years down the road they come and kill my wife and my dog....
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    Why do you have to have a lawyer write up your trust ... does it have to be registered with the state or something?

I bought a software package and did my own, had it notarized and it cost me about $40 ... the first 5 NFA items went right through, then when they hired the "helpers" last year, they didn't like the name of the trust, and most recently they didn't like that there were no beneficiaries listed in the trust in the event I die ... both times they asked me to modify it ... It kind of irked me because it had never been a problem before but I didn't argue with them, just made the changes and sent them the updatepages.

When I sent in the pages with the changes they requested my stamps showed up within a couple weeks.

When I add an item, I just add it to the property of the trust, reprint and have it re-noterized and send it with my form ... Currently I have a form 1 in to SBR a SiG-553 pistol and a form 4 for my first suppressor ... I'll see if they want anything else changed.
    I sent a copy of "Will Maker trust " to a reputable NFA trust attorney in Dallas and was told not to do it. It leaves you wide open to problems. The problem that it causes is that it is a general trust. It is not solely set up as a NFA trust. I know one thing. My attorney will be called if I ever have a problem. Who can you call using a "will maker trust"? Microsoft?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    I sent a copy of "Will Maker trust " to a reputable NFA trust attorney in Dallas and was told not to do it. It leaves you wide open to problems. The problem that it causes is that it is a general trust. It is not solely set up as a NFA trust. I know one thing. My attorney will be called if I ever have a problem. Who can you call using a "will maker trust"? Microsoft?
    I (or my survivors) would do the same thing I had to do when I closed my business and the lawyer that had drawn up my corporation paperwork had moved out of state ... got another lawyer ... like when my parents passed away and my sister contested their will ... the lawyer that had drawn up their will had died also ... so I got another lawyer to take over.

If no one contest your trust, you shouldn't have any problems provided you fill in the blanks correctly ... but one thing about lawyers and people ... if anyone thinks they should have been included in the trust and they weren't, they can find a lawyer to contest it!

One other thing ... if a lawyer were to tell you the Willmaker is fine, wouldn't that put him out of a job?
    Most of the things a lawyer does can be done by a regular person if you know what to do ... think para-legal.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 02-27-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Still I will take a Trust done by a reputable attorney over a Quicken Will Maker program just to make sure all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed. You do it your way and I will do it mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Still I will take a Trust done by a reputable attorney over a Quicken Will Maker program just to make sure all the "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed. You do it your way and I will do it mine.
    Absoultly ... not trying to poke the bear or pick a fight ... just spelling out my thinking!

Form 4 and trust sent Feb 25 2013.
    April 19 2013 Form 4 went Pending.
    December 15 Form 4 approved.
    My Liberty Freedom Mag and Tax Stamp is waiting for me to pick it up at the store in Austin.

Woot! What a long F'n wait.

Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Congrats!!!
    Thanks

Sherm