Thread: 1911 magazines

1911 magazines

What to buy and what to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Next View Post
    What to buy and what to avoid?
    I've had great luck with Mec-Gar 7 and 8 round 1911 mags. They have a nice follower design (better than a simple stamped plate) and they work completely reliably.

Only mags I ever had trouble with were supposed USGI mags with a contract number stamped on the bottom (sorry don't recall the number). They worked, but the floorplates were just spot-crimped on and would pop off after a few uses.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Wilson Combat are the best I've used.

C-products and Kimber are the worst brands I've used. (love C-products AR mags though)
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Best place to buy?

Cheaper than dirt. Decent prices and quick shipping. I agree with getting Chips. I own 2-10 rounders and have never had any complaints. You are going to be paying more, but worth it. In my opinion no matter what you get, make sure it has a metal follower. I bought 2-8 rounders with plastic followers a while back. One came completely out after 2 trips to the range and the other would cant backwards causing the nose of the round to stick up like a submarine breaching the water. Not cool. I don't remember the name of the mags right now, but will look into it and let you know later.

Quote Originally Posted by Next View Post
    Best place to buy?
    I bought one Mec-Gar 1911 mag at Gander Mountain to try it out. I liked it so much that I bought 10 more. They are probably cheaper online though.......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

i use chip mccormick shooting star stainless 8rd mags in mine.

I might get some mec-gars though.

1911's are funny, there is no "perfect" mag. each gun has it's own tastes
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i use chip mccormick shooting star stainless 8rd mags in mine.

I might get some mec-gars though.

1911's are funny, there is no "perfect" mag. each gun has it's own tastes

This.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I've had flawless performances with Wilson Combat basic 8-rounders and Chip McCormick 10-rounders through my Taurus PT1911. I think I snagged them when each were on sale occasionally at MidwayUSA.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I have a Pro Mag and 3 chip mccormick mags and the 2 that came with my Remington R1s Talo. They all have work very well.
    NRA member

I prefer the wilson combat 7 rounders myself.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I was getting occasional jams with my wilson combat 8 rounders until I replaced the springs with wolff springs.

I have had great luck with the Chip McCormic 8 rounders.

I've had great luck with anything from Mec-Gar. Also I have never had any trouble with Springfield Armory magazines. All of mine run really well.

I've run a bunch and keep other brands around for range use, but 95% of the time I have Tripp Research Cobra mags in my gun. They have never given me an issue even after a long class where they took many trips to the dirt and had plenty of grit inside them. Even their 10rd mags have never given me an issue.

Other mags have run ok for me, but eventually all of them give me a failure of some sort. To me 100% function is worth the extra money.