Thread: FIL wants a 12 gauge.

FIL wants a 12 gauge.

My in laws recently moved to town from Texas. (another story in itself) Well, my FIL is convinced that he needs a 12 gauge pistol gripped shotgun for home defence. We are going looking later on this afternoon. I am thinking more of a 20 gauge for him. I have one (870) that I would be happy to give him. Now mind you. He is 82 weighs 120 pounds wet. What do you guys reccomend?

He also wants something semi automatic. I also have the Remmington model 11 that he gave me years ago. (was his uncles WWII gun) would that be another option as well? Should I just give him a .38 and call it a day? TIA!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'm no fan of pistol grip only shotguns...

At 82 and 120 I'd say a 20 ga would be a better choice. Or even a 410 with buck... that is what I have for the wife...

I have a mossberg 410 that I would be happy to part with. Problem is. It likes to be a single shot. I think that he wants a pistol grip because it is lighter. Years ago I tried to give him a .38. He liked my S&W airweight. But I thought that recoil would be too much for him. He has had both shoulders replaced. So I am thinking that might have something to do with wanting the pistol grip.

Here is a nice .410 Mossy with adjustable pull...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=321477436

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Here is a nice .410 Mossy with adjustable pull...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=321477436
    Price reasonalbe?

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I have a mossberg 410 that I would be happy to part with. Problem is. It likes to be a single shot. I think that he wants a pistol grip because it is lighter. Years ago I tried to give him a .38. He liked my S&W airweight. But I thought that recoil would be too much for him. He has had both shoulders replaced. So I am thinking that might have something to do with wanting the pistol grip.
    No disrespect intended, but if the recoil of a 38 spl might be too much, how could he expect to handle the recoil of a pistol grip shotgun of any gauge?

I picked up... was it a 500? five shot, fixed synth, 28" full mossy at a pawn shop nearly a year ago for $140 OTD (that was a deal though...). That one is new and adjustable. Try Wally World... You can always order a 18"/20" cylinder barrel for it...

I checked impactguns and that one on GB is cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    No disrespect intended, but if the recoil of a 38 spl might be too much, how could he expect to handle the recoil of a pistol grip shotgun of any gauge?
    No disrespect at all. My FIL can be rather pig headed at times. He really thinks that he needs a 12 gauge. I am tempted to let him shoot some of mine. But, I am kinda worried that he is going to hurt himself. (shoulders) So, (because he really does not believe me) going to take him to the local shops to handle shotguns and get "expert" advise. Heck my son won't shoot a 12 gauge!

Not really sure what the best home defense gun would be for them. I tried to give him a glock. 1911. But he couldn't work the slide. He is a Korean War Vet. So guns are similar to him. Though he has not shot a gun since Korea. They moved to a residential area that is close to the highway. They just want to feel a bit more comfortable at home. Or have a gun because it is West Virginia.

I like this one, but IIRC it is around $329...

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shot...se-hs410/50359

Thanks El. Tempted to just give him the 20 gauge. I know that he should practice with it. But I don't want him to be scared either. I know that he/his wife will probably never use the gun. But they want to feel safer with one. I have had many a conversation with him about gun ownership and the "why do you need an assult weapon" talk. (he can be a hypocryte but that is another story!) He does not like my AR 15, but loves my MP-40! (lol).

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    No disrespect at all. My FIL can be rather pig headed at times. He really thinks that he needs a 12 gauge. I am tempted to let him shoot some of mine. But, I am kinda worried that he is going to hurt himself. (shoulders) So, (because he really does not believe me) going to take him to the local shops to handle shotguns and get "expert" advise. Heck my son won't shoot a 12 gauge!

Not really sure what the best home defense gun would be for them. I tried to give him a glock. 1911. But he couldn't work the slide. He is a Korean War Vet. So guns are similar to him. Though he has not shot a gun since Korea. They moved to a residential area that is close to the highway. They just want to feel a bit more comfortable at home. Or have a gun because it is West Virginia.
    This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. With his age and frailty, I would think a side by side in either 20 or 410 gauge would be good for him. Think coach gun. No need to work a slide under pressure. Just pull the trigger and it goes bang. It is doubtful that he would need more than two shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. With his age and frailty, I would think a side by side in either 20 or 410 gauge would be good for him. Think coach gun. No need to work a slide under pressure. Just pull the trigger and it goes bang. It is doubtful that he would need more than two shots.
    I think that is a great idea. I would be willing to give him my 1187 with slug barrel as well. I got the scatterguns out. He is going to be dropping off the kids soon, and I will give him the options.

You could still pass a 12 his way. Just school him on the importance of choosing loads that he can adequately handle.

Federal has a line of "tactical" (low base) slugs and buck that don't hurt much at all. (On the shooter end anyways).

He'd probably do fine if he stayed away from the hot stuff. Heck, buy some cheapo birdshot (no much kick there) and inject epoxy into the front of the shell. Now he's got "glassers" more or less at practice ammo prices (and kick)!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've shot pistol grip 12 ga shotys and the abuse to your hand and wrist is substantial even with trap and skeet loads. Put some high brass Buck shot in them and it really gets rough. From what you described he'll break his wrist with the first shot possibly or screw up his shoulder. Honestly, I had to coach a woman, (friend of my wife) to use a Mossy 12 ga. type, think it was a 500, but no matter. It came with the pistol grip and a buttstock. She tried it with the grip, thought it was going to be lighter and handier to use. She wasn't a small woman, was 5'-10" tall. She didn't like the recoil with the pistol grip on her hands and she didn't hit very will on a man sized B-8 silhouette target. Because she was trying to shoot at the target without really looking down the barrel a.k.a. sighting the weapon. She also didn't like the recoil on her shoulder using the fixed buttstock, but she was much more accurate. So I suggest she tuck the stock under her arm, in the armpit and clamp her arm on it. She could still get her head looking over the barrel and see the bead at the muzzle. Recoil even with buckshot didn't kill her shoulder and her accuracy was just as good as when she shoulderd the weapon.

Try the buttstock tucked under the arm technique and see if he can stand that. Remind him to hang on, and start him on low brass bird shot loads. If he can handle that, then give him a couple rounds of buckshot. Also remember if he really does need it for defense, the adrenaline will kick in. He won't feel shit most likely if he fires the weapon in self defense.

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

May be way off from what he wants but... Might try a keltec sub 2000 in 9 or 40... if he is really wanting a shotgun that circuit judge in 410 might not be too abusive to his shoulders.. of course I think ruger still makes a 44 carbine... I'm thinking 12 and even 20 would be bad ideas.. if he wants a long gun there are those.. as far as handgun... I had to drop all the may to a 22 for my mother not to hate the recoil... Got her an LCR in 22lr... one of the cutest things I've seen is a 380 revolver from taurus!!! No need to cycle with weak arthritic hands and not much recoil... I love it.. but at the same time think it is useless... unless it is for a very specific person... Recoil sensitive and unable to cycle a slide.. makes it difficult finding the right match... Good Luck!!

What about one of these?http://military.wikia.com/wiki/MAG-7
    I believe it can use mini 12ga shells for less recoil.
    http://www.technoarms.com/mag7_m1.html
    Last edited by shotdown61; 12-13-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shotdown61 View Post
    What about one of these?http://military.wikia.com/wiki/MAG-7
    I believe it can use mini 12ga shells for less recoil.
    http://www.technoarms.com/mag7_m1.html
    Rotts oh ruck trying to find one for sale and the ammo for it.

I gave him the 20 gauge. He was happy. Now we need to take him shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Rotts oh ruck trying to find one for sale and the ammo for it.
    You might be right but I have seen a few for sale.But as far as ammo goes,Aguila minishells will work just fine and are not hard to find.
    I even have a few boxes laying around.