Thread: oww! Cheek bite with new yugo

Question oww! Cheek bite with new yugo

Hello everyone, T1mberWolf here. I am a new Yugo M70 PAP highcap owner. Just got my rifle last week and took her out to the range Sunday morning. Fired 200 rounds through her no problem. I am very pleased with the rifle overall.

However I noticed she was kicking the hell out of my cheek. I tried a really firm cheek weld and shoulder seat and still, she kicked the hell out of my cheek. Now I am an experienced highpower rifle shooter. I have an M1A and an M1 Garand and I am a former Marine, so I dont think it is operator related. I had a sniper scarf in my trunk so I wrapped that around the butstock and it seemed to help some. I was wondering if anyone else has expepianced this and what is the cause? Is it the stock? Or the slant muzzle brake? I have a new 74 style muzzle brake on order. I really hope it is a simple fix like the muzzle brake.

Secondly, my saftey lever is really really stiff when pushing down from safe to fire. It pushes up from fire to safe really easy but pushing down from safe to fire is super stiff! Like you need to be wearing gloves to do it. Any way to lossen that up?

Thanks for any advise and help!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

It is possible that the rifle has a weak recoil spring which would allow the bolt and carrier to give the rear trunion a good whack, which is most likely what you feel. Personally I install a Blackjack buffer in all my AK shooters because it does prevent the metal to metal contact that happens even with a good recoil spring. Many people say a buffer isn't needed in an AK because of their robustness, and while this is true, since I don't have an armorer to repair my rifles free, the added insurance of a few dollars spent on the buffer is in my opinion worth it.

Installing an AK-74 brake is a good thing to tame felt recoil. They are probably the best designed brakes for an AK, doing a great job of absorbing recoil. I really like them. Another brake that works well is the AMD brake. Just remember that these brakes do a good job of diverting the muzzle blast to the side, so make sure there is no one standing near your side when you fire. Also, if bench firing, make sure that there is nothing on the bench that can get hit by the gasses. Easy way to turn a white cooler black... Don't ask!

As to the safety lever, I have had a couple like that, and being just a sheet metal stamping, I very carefully bent the lever out a bit so that it wasn't pressing so hard on the receiver. Like anything firearm related, if you do follow my lead, bend it a little at a time since anything metal, though not likely, can break. Just bend it out a bit, try it, and if needed (obviously) bend it some more.

Oh, THANK YOU for your service to this great country. Remember, you are NEVER a former Marine, just one who doesn't wear a uniform right now.

Had to add this, I love your handle. My father was a Timberwolf in WWII. His unit was one of the first to the Rhine Valley and he crossed that bridge at Remagan.

Thanks for the reply and the kind words imanaknut. I do have a little black rubbery ak recoil buffer, but I have not installed it yet. I spent all my spare time before I went to the range, cleaning my rifle and instaling the tech sights that I had purchased for it. I am not having very much felt recoil in my shoulder right now. All the recoil I feel is in the cheek.

i am going to isntal that recoil buffer and hopefully a new muzzle brake before my next range trip and see if that helps.

Silly thought, but I have had this happen to me. Check the screws holding the stock on. I have had many come loose which could cause the stock to jump up into your cheek but not back into your shoulder.

The stock seems to be secure. No wobble or movement at all. Mabey the slant brake is pushing the stock into my cheek? Idk. Next time I go the the range I am gonna try some tests without the brake on to see what happens.

I tried the screwdriver trick to lossen up the saftey lever. That seems to be helping. Thanks man!

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by T1mberWolf View Post
    I spent all my spare time before I went to the range, cleaning my rifle and .
    Being a Marine you're obviously used to the cleaning regimen of an M4/16 so a friendly nudge of perspective in the right direction about your new AK is perhaps in order.

For cleaning, if all you ever do is pee down the barrel once in a while, it'll still fire just fine.

Just sayin.

No sh*t stinker. LOL I hated the M16! Wussy 22 cal projectile! And I had a bad experience in training with M16 failed reliability. And we cleaned them suckers every darn day! They suck! Thats why I got a new yugo "AK"M-70 for my rifle! LOL

welcome sir to the forum. thanx marine for your service.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator

The thread grandfather is back.....ok here is what you do, take off the receiver cover, lift the safety level up and then bend away from the receiver. They are tight so use your thumb and put tension on it till you like the smoothness. Cheek weld on an AK 47 is like comparing a Browning ATD 22 to a Trg 42. Not going to happen...also put the original comp on there is you have a 74 styke break...the gases push the rifle down and away keeping your cheek rosey color.