Thread: Help me with my M92PV SBR Parts List

Help me with my M92PV SBR Parts List

Hey guys,
    I just ordered my Zastava PAP M92PV 7.62x39 pistol. My intent is to make it into a budget SBR, with a folding stock, and eventually a red-dot sight. I know that there have been a few different answers from the ATF as to 922r compliance regulations for this kind of project. But I've already got a stack of tapco mags, and figure I may as well plan to make my weapon 922r compliant. This will be my first Title II weapon, my first serious gun project, and my first AK. Crazy, right?

Anyway, I want to throw out the ideas that I had thus far, and see what you think as far as what parts. I'm hoping to directly mount my stock's folding mechanism, as I've heard of others doing. I know this will mean a slight slant for the butt-stock, but if that's the only problem, then I'll deal. So here's my parts list/budget plan. Please make any suggestions, corrections, or observations as you see fit. I'm hoping within to get my ATF paperwork in order and send off for parts within a few weeks, so help me plan this thing out so that I don't botch it up!

This is both my hardware plan, and all other budgetary requirements.

Getting the pistol ---
    PAP M92PV $590 with free shipping
    FFL Transfer $20
    TOTAL: $610

Making it an SBR ---
    ATF Tax Stamp $200 + several months of waiting
    Quicken Willmaker $30 (To establish my Trust)
    Ace Folding Stock $124 (http://riflestocks.com/store/product2.html)
    TOTAL: $354

Making it 992r compliant ---
    Hogue pistol grip $22
    Cheap muzzle device $15
    Detent pin $20
    Tapco mag $6
    Tapco intrafuse AK trigger $33
    TOTAL: $96

Optional bonuses ---
    Stormwerkz rear sight rail $50 (http://www.stormwerkz.com/Descriptio..._01_Views.html)
    Burris fastfire 2 $208 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-f...ire-sight.html)
    Some kind of sling $???
    TOTAL: $258

GRAND TOTAL: $1,318 (plus ammo, shipping, a few more tapco mags @ $6, etc.)

So, there's my plan. What I want to know is, what do you think? Does my stock suck? Does the Ace kit include everything it needs (except for drill bit and tap set)? Am I missing any pieces? I have enough US parts for 922r compliance, yes? If I can pull this off for anywhere near $1,300, I'll be pretty happy.

SUGGESTIONS?
    Last edited by svppb; 12-17-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Well don't all jump up at once. Can anyone at least tell me whether I'm on the right track with that stock? I think all I will need is to drill/tap two holes in my rear trunnion. Comments/suggestions?

Here is/was my plan:
    I got a PAP M-85 about two weeks ago on GunBroker and was thinking I'd SBR it.

Initially I was thinking while I wait on my stamp I'd add a US made fake can to the barrel to bring the barrel up to 16.25" and blind pin it on, a Manticore triangle stock with Stormwerks hinge, Tapco G2 FCG, & Magpul pistol grip (with storage to keep a copy of my stamp) ... that gives me the 6 parts I need for 922r compliance, and I could enjoy it while I wait. Then when my stamp arrived all I'd have to do is remove the fake can and install the proper flash hider.

However, with the BTAF position on the arm brace introduced by SiG and seeing how long NFA stamps are taking I decided to check out the arm brace myself and see if I could adapt it to the M-85 ... and I think I like it. I found a brace on GunBroker and it does not come with a tube so I ordered one of those too while I was at it I ordered a hinge and pig nose from ACE ... by the time I bought the necessary compliance parts cost was about a wash ... the armbrace with the hinge is about the same length as a stock, but its still a pistol, and you don't need a stamp unless you want one. The BTAFE has already stated their position that If someone uses' the brace in a manor not consistant with it intended function, that does not make it illegal (for instance, if someone were to use it as if it were a stock)
    (who'd have ever thought they would come up with an answer like that ... it actually makes sense!)j

Zastava PAP M85 (.223) pistol with arm brace.

You can fold it for easy storage with a hinge from ACE Ltd and it will clear the charge handle ... I did have to drill and tap 2 holes in the back of the trunnion and grind off the nubs on the hinge and the "pig nose" but with a little care, there was no problem.

Last edited by kimberkid; 06-15-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Holey necrothread Batman!

Nice arm-braced Krink sort of pistol!