Thread: Reinstating the 1994 AWB

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Reinstating the 1994 AWB

A coworker was telling me today that all it would take to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban is for Obama to sign it back into law. Is that true? It was my understanding that when it was sunsetting President Bush could have extended it or maybe reauthorized is the correct term, but once it did sunset it was over and done with for all time and if you wanted another one you've have to pass it as a new law.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

IT also has to pass both houses of congress, and no way will it pass in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    IT also has to pass both houses of congress, and no way will it pass in the house.
    Correct.

Bush stated he would sign it IF it came across his desk...meaning it would have to go through congress, which obviously it didn't.

Worrying that the AWB will be reinstated is a waste of time. If something actually comes through it will almost certainly be completely new legislation. It was heavily criticized as "having no teeth" and being "simply cosmetic". I don't think they are going to look back at that same legislation as an appeasement. In my opinion it's either going to attempt to have teeth, in which case it will likely fail, or it will be a new idea from left field which may seem "reasonable" enough to pass.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I heard talk on a news program, tonight, that a few lawmakers want to reinstate the assault ban, but also, they want all hi-cap, hi-powered rifles banned, too.

I'm more afraid of Obamination writing and signing an Executive Order to get what he wants. Not sure how that would pan out....not sure he would be able to do that....

it will be a new idea from left field which may seem "reasonable" enough to pass.
    no gun sales/transfers to people who have/or had mental/psychological treatment and are on or have been on any form of prescribed psychological medication. ( that includes all that shit you see advertised on TV ) .

I could see that going through with ease and "IF" he can Obama using an EO in part with it, to over ride medical privacy laws ( which will probly happen anyways with obamacare)

Just my 2 cents...but at least it's credible.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I'm sure our POS POTUS has enough henchmen to get anything he wants.
    They won the election for him, didn't they?

Don't be surprised at anything he pulls.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No Obama can't just sign it in to being. As stated it would have to pass both houses then make it to his desk to sign. The Congress in the hands of Republicans would not pass such a bill IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    no gun sales/transfers to people who have/or had mental/psychological treatment and are on or have been on any form of prescribed psychological medication. ( that includes all that shit you see advertised on TV ) .

I could see that going through with ease and "IF" he can Obama using an EO in part with it, to over ride medical privacy laws ( which will probly happen anyways with obamacare)

i really dont have a problem with invading the privacy of doctor patient priveldge..i really dont.
    my dad was a priest and the shit people told him should have gone directly to law enforcement...but it couldnt.
    i understand this can be a very slippery slope..i understand that it could be used to circumvent the constitution,also dangerous..
    but i am sick..literally sick of innocent people/kids murdered because some fuckwad didnt take his meds.
    i own numerous weapons,and truth be told,if you saw my juvenile records i shouldnt be able to own a slingshot..fact is..i would never harm a soul and any infringement would fuck me..but i cant stand to watch children killed because of some stupid privacy issue.
    i dont think a gun ban would accomplish squat..band aid on a sucking chest wound..so i mixed emotions on this..i think the real problem is poor mental health resources(thank reagan,and i voted for him)terrible video games and movies..and a situation in this country that every kid feels entitled to everything they want.
    i wanted a brand new mx bike when i was a kid..i did not get it..i did not shoot everyone because i was mad..i gre the fuck up and earned it.
    kids now have parents that give them whatever..over guilt about being absent..whatever..but at some point we need to seperate the nuts from the guns..simple as that..i dont know how..but i am sick of seeing kids shot..i have 2 childen and i would die for your kids..
    if we bend on gun control for the twits..maybe we can get something from them that kneejerk and blame guns..
    just a rant...i looked at my niece tonight..striking semblance to the dead girl i saw on the idiot box..i could not imagine her hurt..if it takes us to compromise on something that will not affect this problem(we all know it wont)maybe we can get a compromise from them?
    i think the real problem is pharma pumping kids full of anti depressants..liberal coddling that it is the gov that takes care of us...vicous and violent video games...single parent families..i could go on...it is not guns..but that will be the argument..my thought is give a little..then go from there..maybe i am wrong.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Watch this vid carefully. This is what they want to do to Americans:

not to preach to the choir..but are schools not gun free zones!..and to add..any one deranged enough to shoot innocent 6 year old children is sick enough to throw a molatov..whatever to get there pathetic 15 minutes of fame.
    the first thing i would do as obama is do an xo that no names of the perps are ever published..period!
    no notorious fame..nothing but a potters grave.
    fuck these weirdo's and fuck giving them their 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

Yup, this is a sure fire way to disarm vets. Been to the VA for depression? Hand over your guns. Combat time? You're not stable enough to own a firearm. Are you really sad because of a divorce or death? Hand over your guns. When the gov gets to decide who's crazy, that's going to be as good as confiscation. Watch!

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I'm sure our POS POTUS has enough henchmen to get anything he wants.
    They won the election for him, didn't they?

Don't be surprised at anything he pulls.
    This is the closest to my thoughts.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No Obama can't just sign it in to being. As stated it would have to pass both houses then make it to his desk to sign. The Congress in the hands of Republicans would not pass such a bill IMO.

Agree! Also with Harry Reid in charge of the Senate he is pro gun! He has said in the past that no gun bills will come thru him as long as he is in charge. It's political Suicide to do so. 2014 is just around the corner.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Agree! Also with Harry Reid in charge of the Senate he is pro gun! He has said in the past that no gun bills will come thru him as long as he is in charge. It's political Suicide to do so. 2014 is just around the corner.
    I trust ole Harry as far as I can pitch my Tundra overhanded. He's a Democrap first, he'll toe the line if Obama tells him.