Thread: New additions: Ruger Gunsite Scout and Ruger GP100 .357

New additions: Ruger Gunsite Scout and Ruger GP100 .357

Traded off a couple things at the show in Somerset yesterday, and got me two new play pretties. Traded my G19 in on a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. I believe Helen Keller picked up one of these a while back, and I eyeballed the hell out of it, decided it was time to get one. Went to Pauls down the road and picked up a new blued Ruger GP100 6''.

These are the first two Rugers ive ever owned, and I gotta say im pretty impressed with their construction. The Gunsite bolt is a bit stiff but I have read that it works out smooth in no time. The mag is good and snug, but I DO wish it took a more common double stacked mag. Sights are a bit different than what I thought, the non adjustable front post site a good bit higher from the rabbit ears than what im used to with my AR's. THe stock is great looking, will have to get something to cover over it when I take her hunting, im nitpicky on stuff like that. The stock checkering is really nice, get a real solid grip on the rifle with it. Ill post a range review and pictures when I ever get a chance to go. Ill be shooting some of my reloads ive been making for my CETME, 150gr Hornady FMJBT in LC brass in front of 45gr BLC-2.

The GP100 is a beast! Thing is on the heavy side, but I know that will help when I go to shooting some hot .357 mag loads. I have read, and it helped me pick this revolver, that these guns are built like tanks, able to take a lot of beating. I would have optd for the stainless because they wear better (refering to what i mentioned in the above post about being nitpicky) but I could actually afford the blued one lol. Looking to slap a fiberoptic front sight on it soon and get a couple speed loaders. The hogue grip that comes on it, I think its Hogue anyways, feels pretty nice.

All in all i am pretty pleased. Wife also picked me up another pound of BLC-2, 100rds of LC mil brass, and 1000 pack of large rifle primers as my christmas present.
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 12-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Pictures.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Pictures.
    That.
    Why did you pick 6" for a barrel length?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Solidus-snake, sounds like some nice choices! But I'll bet you're actually using 45 grs. of BLC-2 behind those 150 gr bullets?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Solidus-snake, sounds like some nice choices! But I'll bet you're actually using 45 grs. of BLC-2 behind those 150 gr bullets?

Steve
    Haha thanks for the save Steve. That would be a catastrophe if it were possible to fit! I'll post some pictures this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    That.
    Why did you pick 6" for a barrel length?
    Well, I was wanting a high accuracy pistol for packing in the backwoods to maybe hunt with if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Well, I was wanting a high accuracy pistol for packing in the backwoods to maybe hunt with if the need arose.
    That's why I asked - a 4 or even 5" is easier to carry and unholster.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've wanted a 6" GP-100 for years.

Theres just something sweet about all that steel, even though it is big and heavy for the modern man.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Yeah, I'll be getting a lower riding holster for it, I'm not too concerned with being able to hide it as I'll only carry it hiking and camping.

Agree with Funky, there's just something about that much steel in a caliber like 357 mag.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not sure about other states, but in MD, if you're hunting with a handgun, the barrel must be a minimum length of 6". Anything less is illegal to hunt with.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So is the stock that gray looking laminate? They are a nice playtpus rifle, (a collection of different styles) kind of a compromise of features. The GP100's are no frills sturdy and reliable. Congrats on the new pair.

Heres some pics:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 12-25-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You going to put an optic on that; red dot or long eye relief Scope?

Nice lookin pair of new guns. Congrats.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You going to put an optic on that; red dot or long eye relief Scope?
    Prolly throw on a red dot first, I've been eyeing and have seen good things about the Bushnell TRS-25.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    I just wanted to ask how reliable is your CETME? I bought one earlier this year and have
    been having feed issues, bolt carrier binding up ect. I'm using aluminum 20 rnd mags and
    winchester 308 cal instead of 7.62 x 51. I only paid $300 for the gun and have $ room to
    make it right, let me know.
    Just me and my monkey....

I lucked out with mine, I have had zero issues out of it thus far.