Thread: Any tips on polishing up a feed ramp on FEG PA63 ?

Any tips on polishing up a feed ramp on FEG PA63 ?

Got a 9x18 PA63 and I just bought some Hornady Critical Defense 95 grain hollow points and Ive had a few FTF's . Im just wondering what I should use on that aluminum feed ramp to maybe smooth it out a touch to see if the bullets might cycle better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Im not the resident gun expert. But when I bought mine, I was having the same issue. So my friend who owned the gun store where I bought it said, 9x18 guns like the round headed FMJ the best. He told me to shoot a 100 rounds or so of FMJ thru it. And that should break it in; That did the trick. The FMJ do cycle thru it with out any trouble tho'. Some of the others here may have other ideas.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Dremel tool, emery paste on a felt bob. Apply light to moderate pressure and keep it moving up and down the ramp constantly to avoid polishing a dip in the ramp. Wear eye protection. Clamp barrel or frame in vice to have a consistant angle as you polish.

Thank you guys for the info

Its funny you say that cause the FMJ cycle perfectly. Im suspecting the tip of the hollow point is hanging up on the ramp or in the chamber. Ive had this gun about 3 1/2 years and really haven't used it much and it could be the whole break in process thing I don't know . Ive maybe put about 150 round through it since Ive owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by sar32 View Post
    Its funny you say that cause the FMJ cycle perfectly. Im suspecting the tip of the hollow point is hanging up on the ramp or in the chamber. Ive had this gun about 3 1/2 years and really haven't used it much and it could be the whole break in process thing I don't know . Ive maybe put about 150 round through it since Ive owned it.
    Thats the problem the 9x18's are awesome pistols if you stick with a round head bullet. I can shoot hollow's thru mine, but I still get the occasional jam. My Makarov is my CCW gun & I just use FMJ"S I cant recall that gun with those bullets ever jamming up.

Heres what will work for you..
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=472414
    Last edited by nitewatcherXX; 12-27-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Thats the problem the 9x18's are awesome pistols if you stick with a round head bullet. I can shoot hollow's thru mine, but I still get the occasional jam. My Makarov is my CCW gun & I just use FMJ"S I cant recall that gun with those bullets ever jamming up.

Heres what will work for you..
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=472414
    FMJ is a poor round, no energy delivery. You're going to need to land a round in the heart or spinal column to stop anyone quick. Handgun bullets are not overly lethal and without an HP even less so. 9x18 is no power house round to start with using only FMJ makes it even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    FMJ is a poor round, no energy delivery. You're going to need to land a round in the heart or spinal column to stop anyone quick. Handgun bullets are not overly lethal and without an HP even less so. 9x18 is no power house round to start with using only FMJ makes it even more so.
    I agree. But either my Makarov or my PA63 fit very nicely in my back pocket. My wife also takes one with her. could be better but hey..