If anyone can help me confirm my plan to thread my own Vepr .308 barrel for a muzzle brake/comp. I would really appreciate it. I have read several posts on several forums and see a lot of conflicting information. So this is what I want to do....

I've been talked into threading my Vepr barrel myself with a $30 kit rather than paying $125 for a gunsmith's services for obvious reasons. Where I have read conflicting info. is wheather I can thread my heavy barrel with a 5/8x24 thread die for my preferred choice of a PWS FSC30 muzzle brake? I have also read that I should only use the traditional AK47 14x1 LH threading with appropriate sized muzzle brake (which is the threading size under the barrel caps on some Vepr rifles)?

Once the above is confirmed my next question is, since I have a Vepr 1 model which has the fixed front sight near the muzzle end (with no capped threaded muzzle) is there enough room to thread the barrel without moving the sight back towards the receiver? If I do need to move the front sight, does anyone have suggestions on doing that without messing it up or canting the sight in the process? Just fyi, I have no press equipment or access to any special tools other than general houshold tools so please keep my options simple.