Thread: stored mags........full or not?

stored mags........full or not?

just thinking.....does it hurt to store your mags full of ammo?????????

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

No it doesn't.

Although your ammo is more protected from corrosion being stored inside sealed ammo cans, so I would still only load up what you might want for an unexpected engagement.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

well put......thank you!

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Yes.
    Just me and my monkey....

Some say yes, some say no, probably depends a bit on the magazine.

Or you could do like I do and keep a revolver for home defense and not have to worry about it.

well I have both loaded and unloaded stored mags. I haven't seen any determent in function from mags that have been stored for years loaded. But all being said I still probably think it might be better to store them for extended times unloaded

I would have multiple mag's, and cycle them. This way one mag is not always loading and cycling the ammo. Take one or two mags for loading, leave them loaded for a couple of weeks. Then either shot the rounds or empty the mag, and load them into another mag. This way the spring is not always in compression. After time, if the mag is always stored loaded, the spring will start to develop a memory, and will not completely extend over time.
    Last edited by michael christensen; 02-08-2013 at 07:20 PM.

I read a good article about this where some guys did some testing and it's not the compression (stored with ammo) or empty state that affects the metallurgy of the mag springs. It's the process of cycling through the compression and extension cycle that affects the strength of the spring. Store away... they'll be fine. I mean hell, what good are they if they aren't loaded when you need them?

I read a good article about this where some guys did some testing and it's not the compression (stored with ammo) or empty state that affects the metallurgy of the mag springs. It's the process of cycling through the compression and extension cycle that affects the strength of the spring. Store away... they'll be fine. I mean hell, what good are they if they aren't loaded when you need them?

i like it demac777

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I keep one magazine loaded at all times just in case the need arises. Otherwise I keep all my ammo in a water tight ammo can to keep the ammo from corroding.

I've heard the same from several sources, that it's the repeated compression that wears springs out. So the only issue for long term storage is the pressure on the feed lips, which isn't an issue with AK mags. I usually store my range mags empty and only have a few loaded ones lying around so I can keep track of what brand of ammo I'm shooting at the time. If you're worried about corrosion or don't have a dry place to store loaded mags I'd look at a good lacquered case ammo like Golden Tiger or Red Army. Older Brown Bear was lacquer coated too but I was told newer BB isn't.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Earlier this year I tried out four Romanian thirty rounders that I had kept loaded for ten years. The springs in them work just fine still.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"