Thread: bi pods.....are they worth it?

bi pods.....are they worth it?

whats everybody think?...are they worth it?

i was thinking of mounting one on the barrel.....i heard some where its not a good idea

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never mount a bi-pod on a barrel. Unless it's a squad automatic weapon you don't want to do that. I screws up the barrel harmonics and causes massive shot stringing and really big groups. They also add weight to the weapon.

The only place to mount a bi-pod is to the stock / handguards of a free floated stock or handguard. A bipod on an AK is like putting a Rols Royce grill on a VW Bug, it is just sooooo wrong! Bi-pods are for helping an accurate rifle to produce the most accurate groups you can get from benchrest or prone shooting positions. An AK is not an overyly accurate weapon, but they will contribute to even greater inaccuracy if mounted to the barrels. Check pressure on the stock will cause vertical stringing. Stand up and shoot offhand and the group will shift massively low. Been there done that in my early AK ownership days.

Save your money for more magazines or boxes of ammo.

wow thanks!!!! i guess i will mount it to the stock if i go that route.....time to order that utg hand guard....

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

while i wont disagree with anything schutez said, i dont agree on how he got there. all a matter of my personal opinion, but.........

yes, there are accuracy problems connected with a barrel mounted bipod, but an ak is not an 'accurate" long range weapon. imo, in trying to mount a bipod on an ak, you are trying to make it something its not, and using the wrong rifle to fill the role you want it for.

an ak is a close range weapon. great for close quarters and ranges up to 300m or so. it also handles well and allows fast target acquisition to engage multiple threats at those distances. if you were to be shooting it prone, the bipod would only slow you down in transitioning from target to target. you would be much better suited to shoot off of a pack, rolled up blanket or coat, sandbag, ect......... and when not prone, as mentioned, only add excess weight to the weapon.

its never going to be a long range high poweered precision rifle, even if u add accessories to make it think it is. they will only cause it to not only fail in that role, but to also then fail in its original intended role as well .

With the standard capacity magazine in place, you already have a monopod and a forward pistol grip. Mr. Kalishnikov thought of everything !

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    I tried a couple of different bipods on AK's, didn't help much accuracy wise, like the other
    guys said roll up a beach towel and use that.
    Just me and my monkey....

i was looking to use the bi pod to sight the gun in......then it would go away......sand bag....same thing i thought....but maybe not....i ordered a barrel mount for it a couple of days ago ,to hold the bipod.......maybe put it closer to the forgrip?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I found mine to be indispensable when sighting in for deer season.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products09.html
    Last edited by btcave; 01-19-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

only on the fore grip.....

On a free float ar or a bolt action go for it but it is going to add quite a bit of weight. On a rifle that you want to be handy, don't do it

Quote Originally Posted by itsme1738 View Post
    i was looking to use the bi pod to sight the gun in......then it would go away......sand bag....same thing i thought....but maybe not....i ordered a barrel mount for it a couple of days ago ,to hold the bipod.......maybe put it closer to the forgrip?
    Sight the ak (no bipod) in at 25yds.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsme1738 View Post
    For sighting in a host of stuff you probably already have can be used. You have an ammo can, put some carpet or a large towel folded up on top and use that for a rest. If no ammo can do you have a small tool box or fishing tackle box, same thing potentially. Or, got a piece of fire wood, a log. Just pad it as you would the ammo can etc.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I gave up on them after taking two different types of them, to my Outdoor Range in Sebastian. It made the Rifle too High to hit the Target, We are talking about an outdoor Target! I could not adjust it down, so I took it off, and used the Sandbags they provide. Every Bipod I have tried has been too High for my Outdoor Range, unless I put the Target and the Cardboard backing all the way up at the Top of the wood Frame. Perhaps the new Russian Army Version might be good. saw one on Gunbroker once. but the Barrel's are different width on Chinese Gun's.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Some rifles are meant to have a bipod while others are not.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Re: bi pods.....are they worth it?

I like bi pods. I'm not good long range without one, just too shakey.

Some look silly with one. Wife's 10/22
    uploadfromtaptalk1364686678281.jpg

But some just need one.

uploadfromtaptalk1364686532902.jpg

I'm a fan of bipods as well, but as mentioned above, mounting one to a barrel is never a good idea unless it came that way. Most of my rifles have picatinney rails and I use a Harris bipod with a Larue quick disconnect mount on all of them, it comes off with the flip of a lever so you don't have to drag it around if not needed but has a solid lockup. I also carry a Vanguard portable rifle rest in my range bag for tabletop work, lighter than a sandbag and doesn't take up much space. I also like using a bipod when I'm running my 75 round drum, that sucker is heavy when it's full.